Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

H-techs with stock shocks and extended top hats??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
HCF Member
Default H-techs with stock shocks and extended top hats??

Hey, ive got a 99 ex coupe and i want to lower it on Tein H-tech springs. they are supposed to give a 1.3 inch drop. I know that the oem shocks dont last long on lowered civics so i was thinking extended top hats would bring the shocks back to stock conditions. I can weld very well and im confident in my metal fab skills. I can extend the top hats 1.3 inches for basically free as apposed to buying aftermarket shocks. im not really concerned with improving the handling of the car i just want a little better stance and while keeping the stock shocks. let me know what you think of this and if there are any reasons why this wont work.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

You want to modify the suspension on your vehicle so you don't have to buy shocks?
Isn't that Illegal?!?

I don't think there is any way you could justify ruining your suspension to save a couple hundred dollars.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 AM

There's really no need for such a drastic modification especially with the H-Tech suspension. The drop is very minimal compared to other aftermarket suspensions and the spring rates are so low it'll hardly do anything to the shocks. Yes they may wear out faster but no were near as fast as some other aftermarket spring. I beleive they designed these springs for pure comfort and a little style. Just so u know, 1.3in drop is hardly noticable. I have the Tokico HP springs with 1.75in drop and it still has a lot of wheel gap.

If ur still set on an extended top hat, www.ground-control.com sells them for a fair price. If anything u would probably only need the front since the front shocks have to contol more weight. Only thing with the ground controls is that I don't know if the top hats will work with stock shocks. You can check with them.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

You want to modify the suspension on your vehicle so you don't have to buy shocks?
Isn't that Illegal?!?

I don't think there is any way you could justify ruining your suspension to save a couple hundred dollars.

So u think its a good idea huh?