Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Heavy steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Default Heavy steering wheel vibration

Sorry if this doesn't belong here but I didn't know where else to put it. I am getting some solid steering wheel vibration and it happends more on the freeways then on the roads. It usually kicks in @ around 60+ MPH. Its a 97 Civic EX, doesn't have a wheel spacer (it's been known that non hub centric wheel spacers cause vibrations), Eibach Pro kit suspension wtih Tokico HP shocks & allignment is done, but still has heavy vibrations (espcially on freeway). Even before my allignment it would vibrate very rough. I think it might be something to do with my suspension but I can remember if I had this problem with my old Coilover suspension or if it started after I had my Pro Kit suspension installed.

Anyone ever had this similar problem and had a fix for it? In the recent issue of Super Street they go over this problem but the guy had wheel spacers and everything they suggested to him was irrelevent to me except tire balance & bent rims. However my rims dont look like they have any bend in them and I recently got my tires balanced again.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Heavy steering wheel vibration

it might be the wheels / tires themselves.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM

Jeez you are a fast reply :P How can I go about checking if its the wheels / tires?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

any tire shop or alignment place can tell you if its the wheels or tires with a wheel balance machine, but they'll probably charge you for labor.

try to see if the cause of the problem is something else before you go spending money.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM

Hmm so when I go in I just let them know of my problem and they should know what to look for in the tires and wheels? May give that a try sometime later in the week.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
mxs
HCF Member

tell them you need your tires balanced.

when's the last time they were balanced/rotated? or how long has it been since the tires were mounted? you could have just dropped a weight off one of the wheels.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 PM

I just got new fronts and they were balanced about a week ago, my rears are no older then 6 months old. I haven't rotated them yet though. What do you mean by you just could have dropped a weight off one of the wheels?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

every wheel has a small counter weight placed on the outer lip somewhere to counter imperfections in the tires that are mounted on the rim.

you could have easily lost the counter weight while driving down the road. it could have been today or two months ago.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM

I had the same thing. My wheel vibrates very hard going around 60 and came to find out it is the outer tie rod ends. Also my halfshafts were worn and i need to replace those too. But it might be the outer tie rod ends and not the tires.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

check the nugs!

Quick Reply: Heavy steering wheel vibration