Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Help! I cant get my Shocks installed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Default Help! I cant get my Shocks installed.

[sm=wtf.gif] I bought some Tokico Illumina shocks for my 99 civic 2dr hx, along with some Tein H-Tec springs, I took it to a shop in Long Beach to get them installed and the front ones went on easy no problem. The rear shocks however apparently did "not fit" properly the guy said he couldn't install them, he said they might be the wrong part. I took my car to another shop and they had the same problem... I don't get whats going on I called Tokico and check the part numbers and they said they were correct and that they should fit fine and that maybe the shop I took to didn't know how to install. Has anyone else encountered this issue??? Can anyone direct me to a place near Long Beach, Ca were I can have my shocks installed. Right now im riding on the Tokico front with Tein springs, and the rear is stock shocks with Tein springs, its really frustrating. [>:]

part# front: BU3456, BU3457
rear: BU2847

Old 06-05-2006, 02:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help! I cant get my Shocks installed.

Wow, if a professional shop can't install them then something must be wrong. Because installing new suspension is not very hard to do. You live in California which is the heart of aftermarket retailers and shops, I’m sure you can find a place. Even a les swab could install them for you probably. If not then you probably have the wrong shocks, or maybe the people who installed them put the back ones on the front, lol. Take some pictures of everything you have and I could probably tell you if they will work or not.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:11 PM

thanks slv, ill take some pics and post them soon...

Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Cat Fuсker

puting the back ones up front is impossible. (unless installed by PepBoys)

Old 06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
HCF Member

^[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 AM

here is a pic that i took while they were trying to install, as you can see it seems that the shock is a bit too long... I verified the part number off the shock with Tokico and it's supposed to be the correct one (bu2847)

Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Cat Fuсker

Ooooohhh....the fun and joy with the LCA's...for some reason the can happen with aftermarket shocks and stock lca's...I notched my LCA's though...and than got nice aftermarket ones...

Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Looks to me like they just need a little negotiation

Old 06-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Cat Fuсker

^ what he said...

Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
HCF Member

Those mechanics were pansies if they gave up at that point, those shocks where nearly on. And yes those shocks look like the correct ones for the back of your civic. Like Forty04 said they need some negotiating. Try dropping that lower control air and leaving the top of the shock loose or unthreaded so it can move around some. Some times it takes the pressure of a jack and the force of a mallet to get the shock to line up. Then you can reconnect the lower control arm.

Quick Reply: Help! I cant get my Shocks installed.