Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

HELP on wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:50 AM
HCF Member
Default HELP on wheels!

Hey,

I've just installed tires on a set of rims i picked up and the tires are sticking about 0.5 cm from the side. the front wheels are rubbing when i hit the slightest bump on the road and makes this God-awful sound. the car was originally lowered w/ toico gas shocks & eibach springs but it seems they've gone dead... there's basically about one finger room in the front wheel to the wheel well if that.

I'm trying to fix this thing to buy a honda nighthawk and don't want to invest too much. An idea was to replace these with stock civic struts & shocks, replace either the gas shocks or the springs OR both (i think the shocks have been dead and the springs have lost it's bounce), or maybe even buying thinner tires like 40's.

Any ideas w/in a student budget?

btw, specs of tires are 205/55/16.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15125/80511CE83C1140A5A316681D86638A90.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: HELP on wheels!

You issue has NOTHING to do with your struts and springs. It's the wheels bro. The offset is "whacked"
Basically..... the wheels don't fit the car. What are the measurments of the wheel ?x? with an offset of ?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

unfortunately i'm stuck at work and can't figure out the offset right now;
can the offset be corrected or the tire pushed in so it doesn't rub?
is it the offset or am i completely screwed...

i'm thinking of getting 205/40/16 tires instead of my current 205/55/16 tires i have on..

keep bringin on the suggestions!
thanks

Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

How did you end up with tires having a 55 aspect ratio? I think those tires should be 205/45/16. Currently, your tire diameter is too large.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

The offset should be stamped on the back side of the wheel.
And Mr. polymer is correct.... wrong tire size. (I love the term "aspect ratio")

Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 PM

you can do what the VIP guys do and add a few degrees of camber to tuck the wheels in. Some of them have rims that stick out 3-4 inches and still tuck up nice with camber. Only do that if you HAVE to keep the wheels, the best thing to do is sell the rims and get some with the proper offset, or get your fenders pulled

Old 09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
HCF Member

yeah.. tell me about it!
my rear tire was flat and i had the 4 rims sitting in the garage; so i decided to put some used tires on, hence the retardo 55's..

i think the only feasible option would be to get smaller 45 tires..
wat a kick in the rear end!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

If the wheel is not a correct fit, the wheel is not a correct fit. Even with the right sized (for the car) tire, is used. Putting a wheel under a car thats sticking out in the fender "breeze" requires negative camber. The kind of camber problem that comes from slamming a car on the ground. This creates inside tire wear.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

so let me get it straight..
ur suggestion is to do a neg camber adjustment to counter tire-rub;
but then it would come at a sacrifice of the tires b/c of the angled-camber-adjustment...

is that right?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

The offset of the rims are wrong for the car, put the stock wheels back on untill you can afford the correct rims if you wish to run aftermarket wheels.

Quick Reply: HELP on wheels!