Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Hey i was just reading around

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Default Hey i was just reading around

Hey i was just reading around trying to find out about camber and what not, when i stumbled on this, and i was wondering if anyone had seen it B4

Oversteer is a phenomenon that can occur in an automobile which is attempting to turn. The car is said to oversteer when the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn. Oversteer can throw the car into a spin.

Understeer is a term for a car handling condition during cornering in which the circular path of the vehicle's motion is of a markedly greater diameter than the circle indicated by the direction its wheels are pointed. The effect is opposite to that of the oversteer and in simpler words under steer is the condition in which the front tires don't follow the trajectory the driver is trying to impose while taking the corner, instead following a more straight line trajectory.

Component -> How to Reduce Under-steer -> How to Reduce Over-steer

Front shock absorber - softer - stiffer
Rear shock absorber - stiffer - softer
Front sway bar - softer - stiffer
Rear sway bar - stiffer - softer
Front tyre selection1 - larger contact area2 - smaller contact area
Rear tyre selection - smaller contact area - larger contact area2
Front wheel rim width or diameter - larger2 - smaller
Rear wheel rim width or diameter - smaller - larger2
Front tyre pressure - higher pressure - lower pressure
Rear tyre pressure - lower pressure - higher pressure
Front wheel camber - increase negative camber - reduce negative camber
Rear wheel camber - reduce negative camber - increase negative camber
Rear spoiler - smaller -larger
Front height (because these usually
affect camber and roll resistance) - lower front end - raise front end
Rear height - raise rear end - lower rear end
Front toe in - increase - decrease
Rear toe in - decrease - increase

1) tyre contact area can be increased by using wider tyres, or tyres with fewer grooves in the tread pattern. Of course fewer grooves has the opposite effect in wet weather or other poor road conditions.

2) These also improve road holding, under most conditions.

In addition, lowering the center of gravity will always help the handling (as well as reduce the chance of roll-over). This can be done to some extent by using plastic windows (or none) and light roof, hood (bonnet) and boot (trunk) lid materials, by reducing the ground clearance, etc. Increasing the track with "reversed" wheels will have a similar effect, but remember that the wider the car the less spare room it has on the road and the farther you may have to swerve to miss an obstacle. Stiffer springs and/or shocks, both front and rear, will generally improve handling, at the expense of comfort on small bumps. Performance suspension kits are available. Light alloy (mostly aluminum or magnesium) wheels improve handling and ride as well as appearance.

Moment of inertia can be reduced by using lighter bumpers and wings (fenders), or none at all.