Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

How to remove rear brake drum???

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Default How to remove rear brake drum???

Hi,

my passenger-side rear brake had started to lock up occasionally when my car sits overnight(or a long time) with the parking brake on. I need to get in there & check out what's wrong & possibly replace a few things. I can't seem to remove the drum though. Can anyone advise me on the best way to remove it? I am not sure if it's just rust that is keeping it in place or something else. the car is a '93 Civic EX coupe. BTW...I do have the parking brake disengaged when trying to remove the drum. Thanks for any help!!

Old 10-31-2006, 09:09 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to remove rear brake drum???

Usually there are two holes in the drum, i think it's (2) 12mm or 10mm bolts. thread into it to act as a puller..

If the drums are badly grooved, You may have to back off the brake
adjuster by holding the adjuster catch plate up and loosening the adjuster.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

I don't think the drums have the holes to put the bolts in, i know that discs do. Make sure the E-BRAKE is off. Try hitting the drum with a hammer on the corner of the drum all the way around and try taking it off. If that doesn't work, take it to a brake place (like midas or w/e) and have them do an inspection on the drums(should be free). After they do the inspection just leave. They will have already taken the drum off to do the inspection so you should be able to get it out w/o a problem.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

genious^

Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I don't think the drums have the holes to put the bolts in, i know that discs do. Make sure the E-BRAKE is off. Try hitting the drum with a hammer on the corner of the drum all the way around and try taking it off.
yes there is. i've done it this way w/ the EG's & EK's. i will post a pic of the holes where you put the bolts when i get home. hitting it w/ the hammer works too.

[b]EDIT

Screwing in two bolts and tightening alternately will press off the brake drum

Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. What size are the threads of the bolt? I know that they're probably metric.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:02 AM

HI....
Quick update....the bolts in the drum holes worked! The drum is off. Thanks so much. Now I have to figure out how to replace everything in there

Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

touche. i guess i've never noticed the screws, or i've never looked cause i prefer the beat the **** out of the drum method better. And some1 else on the forum recommended the take the car to the brake shop to have the drums loosened method. And once you take the hold down springs off everything pretty much falls apart by itself. For the E-Brake cable, use a pair of vice grip pliers to hold the metal thing and the end and a pair of pliers to push the spring back. It works much better than trying to use jus pliers.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if its sticken i would bleed the brake fluid... loosen the rear brake light with a clear hose thats kinda tight on the line and simply keep pumpen the brakes while also refiling the brake resevor so ya dont run it dry and have to do the whole brake system!!!!!!!
keep bleeding it till its clean...

my old 84crx had a sticking rear brake after parking it.... tho it had good pads so i just sprayed it down with some brake cleaner brushed it decently clean and sprayed penitrating oil all over the metal parts... ... then work them realy good..... just be sure to clean the pads again and use some sandpaper to clean the pads clean...
but if ya have some brake tools you can pull all the springs apart and soak them in some cleaner and oil them up nicely.... grease em up and definatly take apart the adjuster bolt and shaft realy good!

my adjuster was just realy badly rusted and stuck along with all the other moving parts rusted preaty bad! right now it only sticks after i let it sit for about a month... and then it only lightly sticks, just driving it afew feet frees it up quickly.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:56 PM

Thanks for your input. I replaced the pads on both wheels. It looked like the sticking was probably just rusted pivot points. I greased them up along with the adjuster bolts. It was easier than I thought it would be....life is always better when you can do some of this work yourself & not dump a load of money into a repair shop!

Quick Reply: How to remove rear brake drum???