Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Install lowering springs yourself

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Install lowering springs yourself

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

ORIGINAL: amg6975

You're going to want a spring compressor.

Or you can have Marnie explain how to do it the fun way.
is that the one where you put it on the jack slightly but only so the car doesnt fall apart...then take apart all three bolts at the top so you use the cars weight as a spring compressor?
I think it went more like, someone stand on the spring and use an impact wrench to take the nut off the top of the shock and then gather the shock from one end of the driveway and the washers and hat from the other end.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 AM
HCF Member

drbyers: a said weekend because i did the front on sat. and got lazy and didnt do the back until sunday lol. Only a few hours of total time.

And for those without spring compressors, just use a wrench to take off the nut at the top, BUT have someone stand on the end of the shock without the nut, and put the end with the nut up against a tire. The tire will absorb the impact and reduce injuries

Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Don't do this without a spring compresser, period. Go to Autozone and rent one, they're free

Old 11-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Cat Fuсker

I used a rope to tie the spring to the strut, but anyhow: get a spring compressor (wisegrip is not a spring cvompressor)

Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

i wouldn't recommend ANYONE get behind a coilover tophat while it's being manually removed.

that's like asking to be shot in the torso. seriously.

spring compressors rool. lol.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

You're going to want a spring compressor.

Or you can have Marnie explain how to do it the fun way.
is that the one where you put it on the jack slightly but only so the car doesnt fall apart...then take apart all three bolts at the top so you use the cars weight as a spring compressor?
I think it went more like, someone stand on the spring and use an impact wrench to take the nut off the top of the shock and then gather the shock from one end of the driveway and the washers and hat from the other end.
lmao

Old 11-07-2006, 12:37 AM

well i installed the eibach sportline kit today. all i have to say is easy peezy lemon squeezy. Im pretty sure that honda has made some changes to their suspension to previous models based on that link.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM
HCF Member

That's what they did with the rear shocks at the shop where I got mine installed.. and lost the bolt that holds the top. It doesn't shoot too far, but i don't recommend doing it this way.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM

Hey guys, I,ve been reading these links and looking at the methods of changing coil springs. i have some new Tein springs for my 4dr 97 civic. i was going to change them myself. i started changing them today and started in the back first. and the bolt holding the lower shock broke on the driver side, it broke as i was reassembling the unit after switching the shock. I followed up to the pasenger side of the car and as i was gonna disassemble the shock unit, the bold holding the shock(same bolt as the one on the driver ride), it broke also. the head of the bolt broke off as the rest of the bold is stuck in there, the end of it is still in the welded nut on the end of the shock(so i cant tap it out).

Do you guys know how i could take that bolt out?
and replacing these bolts must be done from honda directly?

my car is curently still on the jack in the garage at work, unfortunatly it is Canada Day tomorrow meaning this is a long weekend and nothing is opened until tuesday. it would be nice if i would disassemble the unit, but the broken bolt is keeping me from doing so. thanks for all you help. apreaciate it.