Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Installed Skunk2 Lowering Springs, now one tire scrapes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Question Installed Skunk2 Lowering Springs, now one tire scrapes!

So basically, i installed my new Skunk2 Lowering Springs on my 95 civic (followed some DIY guides)
and i got them installed.
Everything was goin fine until, i drove my car.

The back springs are doing great, and the right spring in the front is doing great as well,
but the left spring on my front is lowering my car too much to where the tire is scraping
on my fender (inside).

So basically, everything is fine, everything is going great except my left front.
It is scraping the side of my tire and i can tell because i see the black marks.

What do you guys think happened ?! everything is put back together the right way.
What can i do to stop the scraping ?!

Please get back to me ASAP.
Thanks in advance !!

Last edited by JayJayPops; 04-05-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

have you rolled the fenders?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Superfly
have you rolled the fenders?
no i havent but from the looks of it, would i have too ?!
because like i said, the front right is alright, it doesnt scrape at all
but the front left does.

Picture yourself in the left hand driver seat, and your right is ok but your left isnt, thats what i mean about left and right :P

but
Thanks for the idea !!

but if i have no toehr choice, i might tryin rolling my fenders.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Chubby Chaser

i say you have a blown shock on that side
how low of a drop did you go? and what tires size are you using?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

^was thinking same thing when I read the title....

Guessing you put the springs on stock shocks? Just upgrade to skunk2 shocks, cheap and easy. Matching setup....

Old 03-29-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
i say you have a blown shock on that side
how low of a drop did you go? and what tires size are you using?
but thats what i was guessing, because for the backs and the right springs, when i was installing them, what took the most time was putting on the spring compressors, so i skipped that part for the last spring which is the one on the left because i was getting tired.

i just started unbolting it while it was in the middle of two tires and one of the tires bounced back like atleast an inch because it absorbed the impact and idk if that caused it to blow the shock .

skunk2 lowering springs is i believe 2.5inch drop in the front and 2inch in the back
Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
^was thinking same thing when I read the title....

Guessing you put the springs on stock shocks? Just upgrade to skunk2 shocks, cheap and easy. Matching setup....
yeah on stock shocks, and since theres two post the possibility of blowing my shock, i guess ill prolly give it a test later on the week when i have free time. As for the skunk2 shocks, it seems like a great idea, but a full time father, full time student and a part time job, it doesnt really work out with my budget, but ill prolly save up.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

and an addition to this question, would it be ok if i still drove my car ?!
when i drive straight my tires dont scrape, only when i make turns i can hear it.

BTW . Thanks 94civichatchback and nike h3ad!!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Super Cereal Admin

A little rubbing won't hurt anything besides scraping a little rubber off the tires. If you get it fixed anytime soon, you won't even notice it. I'd say a blown strut sounds like the culprit though.

Also, the engine sort of chills out a little closer to the driver's side than it does the passenger's side. In addition to that, you're sitting on the driver's side; so basically, if the front right wheel is close to rubbing, the front left is probably already there. Of course, that's assuming there's nothing visibly wrong with the suspension (bent components, leaking strut, etc).

Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
A little rubbing won't hurt anything besides scraping a little rubber off the tires. If you get it fixed anytime soon, you won't even notice it. I'd say a blown strut sounds like the culprit though.

Also, the engine sort of chills out a little closer to the driver's side than it does the passenger's side. In addition to that, you're sitting on the driver's side; so basically, if the front right wheel is close to rubbing, the front left is probably already there. Of course, that's assuming there's nothing visibly wrong with the suspension (bent components, leaking strut, etc).
yeha i drove it to school and to work today and its been fine because half the time im just going straight, but lets say, out of 10 turns making a right, i only hear scraping 3-4 times.

even when im not in my car, i cant put my fingers inside the fenders because the tire is in its way. BUT on my right side, i can stick my fingers in so easily and see there is atleast a half inch to an inch there.

There isnt anything visibly broken with my left suspension. Im starting to think its just blown.

But thanks alot reaper2022

Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM

One more vote for blown shock

Quick Reply: Installed Skunk2 Lowering Springs, now one tire scrapes!