Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Interesting Front rotor damage.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Default Interesting Front rotor damage.

I just opened my 98 civic EX front brakes to change the pads. I realized that used area of the inside face of both rotors (driver side more than passenger side) were badly damaged (grooves and rust) so that the pads were grooved too. I am thinking that the mudcovers may be the cause hence they both are very rusty. I live in Chicago, snow, salt on the road etc.) Has anyone ever had this? Any opinions?

Another question: To take out the banjo bolt to take out the caliper, do I have to empty the whole system? If not, how do I prevent the brake fluid to come out? (I know I will have to bleed it at the end).

Thanks.

whitemamba

Old 11-24-2006, 08:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Interesting Front rotor damage.

just replace the front rotors with the pads and be sure to lube all the hardware. this happens alot and its usually from failure to lube the necessary
hw. most will tell u to get the rotors cut by a shop for like 20 to 30 bills but they will not risk breaking the lathe bits for 20 bills. u shouldn't have to remove the banjo bolt to do pads and rotors but clamp off the rubber hoses then bleed them when ur done.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:48 AM

Thanks Dave.

About my second question, I wanted to replace the caliper pistons too. About a half inch on the contact surface has some scratches and corrosion. I have no idea how it happened. Maybe because I used after market pads. But now I bought all original disks pads and mudguards. I am debating if I should replace the pistons or not.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

Replacing the pistons is prolly going to be a lto of work since it will involve rebuilding the caliper. I don't really know how its done but i can look it up. You shouldn't need to remove the banjo bolt on the caliper to replace the calipers. Just hang the calipers to the strut with a hanger. If the caliper isn't leaking, there really isn't a need to replace it. Another thing with the rotors, if the grooves are bigger than the thickness of a pencil tip, then the pads need to be replaced. You can also take the rotors to a shop or auto parts store to have them turned. If your going to take it to an auto parts store take it to Napa or Lee Auto Parts b/c the guys at AutoZone don't really know thier ****. Where in Chicago are you? I also live in chicago.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if you are going to rebuild the pistons you will have to take the caliper apart and disconnect the banjo bolt there really isnt a way around getting the brake fluid out

Old 11-25-2006, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

If you are trying to find out a way to rebuild the caliper w/o removing the banjo bolt, there really isn't a way to do so. The brake fluid pushes on the back of the piston to force the pistons out. When you remove the piston, the fluid will also flow out. Then you will have to bleed the brakes anyway.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Thank you all for the responses. It is pretty cold in here. I couldn't get to it yet but I will as soon as we go over freezing point.
Have a great holiday season.

whitemamba
(North Lake Shore)