Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Junk in my trunk and I need to fix it

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 04:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Junk in my trunk and I need to fix it

*sigh* stupid internet ate my last attempt at this.

Ok, so I ever since I got my subs and box and stuff installed the rear of my car has been a bit lower than it should be. I was thinking that it was probably because theres so much exttra weight back there from that stuff.

Whats the best way to go about correcting something like that? I was thinking that I probably just needed to install more heavy duty shocks or something, but since I am a total noob at this sort of thing, I figure its probably best to ask first.

As well, I am considering getting rims in the nearish future, probably something along the 17 to 18 range. What problems should I anticipate from that? Is that too big for a 2000 Civic EX Sedan? Will I need to lower my car to make it look right if i do that? As is, its pretty much completely stock excepting my sound.

thanks!

Steve

Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Junk in my trunk and I need to fix it

well with the equipment lowering your car.... well i never noticed it in my civic.... but just be sure its about in the center of the car at least it will be even sag

and with rims.... i wouldnt go bigger than 17s... tires are already VERY SMALL... 18s will be rubberbands!

and lowering if with the rims is ALWAYS A PLUS... eithe rroll fenders like i did... or drive with negative camber to clear in rear

Old 08-02-2007, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

alright, it's most your imagination that thinks the car is too low. (unless your rear suspension is shot or you have hundreds of pounds of weight in the back)

if you get 18's, you'll have minor rubbing problems. if you get 17's, you'll have minor rubbing problems with a big drop. but an inch drop with 17's and 205/40's will be fine for a good balance of comfort/performance.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'm withej6.. it's probably just your imagination. I've had heavy crap in my trunk (50lb amp, 10 lb guitar, 10 lbs worth of guitar pedals, 2-3 lbs of accessories/cables, and all my crap for work (construction)) and the back end never really sank down noticeably.

At any rate, you won't have problems with 17's unless you lower it quitea bit. Unfortunately, with 17's or bigger, the wheel gap is atrocious with stock springs. I'd say at least get Tein h-techs (1" drop) or something. Personally, I like my 17's with a 2.5" drop (in front... the rear's still stock thanks to the stupid lca bolts... now I'm waiting to order new parts.... I hate waitingto getpaychecks lol)... the tires are tucked a little (and yet no rubbing problems!)

Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya ive got ruffly 120pounds of stereo in my civics rear and never noticed it any lower.....and well 120pounds in stereo is a preaty good size system

Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

addiction, with a stock suspension, yours would probably drop about a quarter inch, with h techs, not even an 1/8 or 1/16

Old 08-03-2007, 03:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Reignkinge
Ok, so I ever since I got my subs and box and stuff installed the rear of my car has been a bit lower than it should be. I was thinking that it was probably because theres so much exttra weight back there from that stuff.

Whats the best way to go about correcting something like that? I was thinking that I probably just needed to install more heavy duty shocks or something,
Figure out a sound system that doesn't weigh that much. Don't you ever use the trunk?

Anyway, shocks aren't gonna boost the back end unless they're airshocks that can be pumped up, and shocks/shockmounts aren't usually designed to support the weight of a vehicle, so that's just asking for trouble. Supporting is what the springs do. You need to boost the springrate with some beefier coils or some coilovers or something.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

a sound system that doesnt weigh as much. LMFAO ive always thought about HOW to get MORE in my trunk any bass head will tell you that! LMFAO