Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

koni orange vs koni yellow

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Default koni orange vs koni yellow

I know that the yellow are tried and tested as well as adjustable but what about the the Koni Orange? I wouldn't do allot of adjusting but would set it and forget it to be honest. My car is pretty low (I guess), 1 -1.5 finger gap. The price of the yellow compared to the orange makes the orange appealing.

Any one has experience with these and a lowered ride?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 AM
HCF Member

Orange is meant to be an oem replacement and not for lowering. Yellow can take being slammed.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 PM

What are you currently on? Lowering springs or coilover sleeves? And what brand/kind?

Koni Yellows are more aggressive than the Orange. The yellows can handle lower ride heights(they have shorter shafts to lessen bottoming out and better ride) and also handle much higher spring rates(from stock springs to ~600in/lb springs). The Orange would be better suited for a mild drop with fairly soft springs.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Koni's sounds great but the $$ is always the issue. I understand suspension is not an area to go cheap on but at 500.00 or so, that's a good amount of change. That's the reason for the orange vs yellow question.

I was going to take my rear spring out to see who made them but of course the bolt is seized up. They are green with stock shocks I'm sure.

I see skrunk2 with springs are about 450 or so but from what I keep reading the ride it harsh. Eibach the same I guess. I want to buy this suspension once. The warranty is appealing also, lifetime.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

of course its going to be harsh. I have skunk2 coilover sleeves on mine. with unfortunately stock shocks for now. with coilovers your going to have stiffer spring rates, and the lower you go the stiffer you need. Then with koni yellow's the suspension is going to be stiff as heck. As I recall that's practically a racing shock right? That will create a harsh ride. but honestly... so worth it even for street use. Why not think about the koni reds?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by dbrine
Koni's sounds great but the $$ is always the issue. I understand suspension is not an area to go cheap on but at 500.00 or so, that's a good amount of change. That's the reason for the orange vs yellow question.

I was going to take my rear spring out to see who made them but of course the bolt is seized up. They are green with stock shocks I'm sure.

I see skrunk2 with springs are about 450 or so but from what I keep reading the ride it harsh. Eibach the same I guess. I want to buy this suspension once. The warranty is appealing also, lifetime.
Are you looking to replace the shocks and springs or just the shocks? What's your budget? What kind of ride are you looking for? There's plenty of options out there, just give me some info and I might be able to help.

Originally Posted by project91
of course its going to be harsh. I have skunk2 coilover sleeves on mine. with unfortunately stock shocks for now. with coilovers your going to have stiffer spring rates, and the lower you go the stiffer you need. Then with koni yellow's the suspension is going to be stiff as heck. As I recall that's practically a racing shock right? That will create a harsh ride. but honestly... so worth it even for street use. Why not think about the koni reds?
You can buy new springs for coilovers with just about any spring rate you want. Eibach makes springs for coilovers that have rates right around stock rates and up. You are right for the most part that the lower you go the stiffer you'd want the springs to be. You can get shocks with certain length shafts and custom valving to work with soft springs and being pretty low but of course it's expensive.

The Koni Yellow Sports on their softest setting with the right springs can offer a pretty good ride. The Koni orange is said to have about the same valving as the Koni Yellow Sports on their softest setting.*

The Koni Reds are similar to shocks like the Tokico HP and KYB GR2, basically just OE replacements. Not real worth it IMO and you don't want them if you have stiff aftermarket springs.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
You can buy new springs for coilovers with just about any spring rate you want. Eibach makes springs for coilovers that have rates right around stock rates and up. You can get shocks with certain length shafts and custom valving to work with soft springs and being pretty low but of course it's expensive.

The Koni Reds are similar to shocks like the Tokico HP and KYB GR2, basically just OE replacements. Not real worth it IMO and you don't want them if you have stiff aftermarket springs.

are the yellow's a shorter stroke? I know that you can get whatever spring rates you want. I've been looking around for some shorter stroked shocks. Skunk2 says that theirs are shorter I just don't know about how much, and I don't think they are adjustable. I want to go lower but need to replace my shocks first. haha My spring rates are stiff enough but I need stiffer and shorter stroked shocks.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

Yes Koni's are shorter. And Skunk2 struts are not adjustable, I was originaly going to buy some. Skunk2 are generally pretty stiff.

I went with KYB AGX for struts. I love them, although I have hem at the stiffest setting for dd and I'm slammed on Ground Controls, so my ride is very stiff but I like it better, comfort is overrated. I like to be able to feel the ground, def going to get a higher spring rate setup for my next suspension.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM

car is daily driver. i bought the car already lowered. So I don't know who makes the springs. I do know the ride is rough, not unbareable but not smooth and the struts/ shocks are bad. I believe they are still the oem ones.

As far as budget I would like to stay under 450ish for springs/shocks. I know that is not allot (for me it is). That is the reason i asked about the koni oranges. According to the koni website they would with lowering springs.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

I know what you mean about the cash man. but hey taxes are coming up I've heard that the Skunk2's are stiffer. and I agree with you the stiffer the better. Comforts over rated. How low could you go with your AGX Shocks? a friend of mine has ground control with AGX for his AE86/TE72 corolla builds. Although with that you get a combination of Camaro struts and MR2 Struts and then he modified them. Honestly his Coilover setup is at the same level as a 1500 dollar set up. he built it for much cheaper than that. But my point is he has the thing slammed. we scrape on everything. are AGX's honda shocks shorter stroked? I'm looking for the hella flush look.

Quick Reply: koni orange vs koni yellow