Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Locking Lugnuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Default Locking Lugnuts

Keep in mind I am no mechanical guru.

I got a Red 1998 Civic EX about three weeks ago. Since I have gotten it I have changed every belt, steamed cleaned the interior, changed the oil, and replaced the spark plugs. Working on getting new speakers installed.

I got a set of tires with rims just yesterday from DiscountTireDirect...and they forgot to send me my lugnuts! I called and I should have them tomorrow. The tires and rims are on the links below.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...do?mk=&yr=
1998&cf=false&sw=false&cs=205&pc=4 0219&rd=17&vid=006054&ar=40

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...p;wd=17&pc
=45355&rw=7.5&bp=4-100&vid=006054

These tires are WIDE! I'm very worried they are not going to work. I held them in place where they will be secured and there is less than 1/4 of an inch of clearence at the top backside. I was very worried that even when I got the lugnuts these would be grinding on the top side, but I put my finger on the back with the factory tires and it was just the same.

I am also very worried about my rims being stolen. It's not where I live that I am worried about...it's where my father works. My Father's ride was totalled because a drunk driver hit him so he is using my Civic to get to work...and his work is surrouned by the "ghetto" I am not going to let him use my tires until I get some locking lugnuts. I've been doing research and I have, so far, decided on the Gorilla brand. But it seems that any locking lugnut can be taken off with ease if someone really wants to. Auto part stores have tools specifically designed to take off locking lugnuts. I suppose I'll just get some good ones and hope for the best.

The tread of my tires are also not symmetrical. The tires are designed to rotate in a certain direction as far as I can tell. There are no arrows to point me in which direction to mount them. If you look closely you can see where the water should let out. Regardless of where I put each tire two of the tires will be opposite of the other two. That's not a good thing...right?

Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Default RE: Locking Lugnuts

if they are directional tires they should say how to mount them...if they dont they they are prob not directional and it should be fine...in terms of wheel locks...i have two different styles so if they can get my spline drive then they need a key lock too...

Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

Wow, you are asking to many questions at once in the same sentance. ..and your link didnt work for me.

But, for the rims and tires. Bring them to a shop right away to get them mounted and balanced. If they cant put them on because you got the wrong tire or somthing, just send them back. I dont think they would send you the wrong package tho. Unless you picked with out wrong. If the tires are directional, they should have markings or a arrow on the sidewall to indicate which way to install them.For the lugnuts, just get a good set of locking ones, the best brand I think is mcgard, they have a web site too. Its really hard to get one off if you dont have the tool, I never heard of shops having tools to take them off. We had to weld something to it and pry it off when I was in a shop.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM

^ X2 Just take it to the shop.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:37 PM

The rims have already been mounted and balanced. Discounttiredirect mounts and balances any set of tires for free. The tires are ready to put installed on the car. I have examined very well the tires and have found no arrow.

I suppose the locking lugnuts is all I can do. I'll try to get some in the next week.

Should I get one locking lugnut for each wheel or four for each tire? It would be expensive but if someone tried to break them off 16 would be much more dificult than four.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 AM
HCF Member

go to the dealership to get locking lugnuts, or wheel locks

Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

Eather or. Both will do the job.

You can get the four. Or you can get a hole set with one key, I just went to a rim shop and asked for a set of locking lugs. I got all 16 with a key for like $20.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

I'd get a decent alarm with a shock sensor and an ignition kill. Lugs are easy to get off if you know several methods. Most thieves who have been at it for long probably know quite a few tricks. After one set of locking lugs, a good alarm would be better money spent than getting more locking lugs.

Tires can be assymetrical without being directional. Check both sidewalls of the tires to see if there is an arrow indicating direction of rotation. If they sent you 4 identical directional tires, send them back to get the correct ones.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:32 AM

I've gotten them all installed and everything seems to be fine. Pretty loud, but that doesn't bother me. Rough ride too. The traction is great though.

I never did find any arrows so I suppose i'll keep them like they are.

DiscountTireDirect sent me my lugnuts and to my astonishment they sent me 20 Gorrila locking lugnuts!!! That saved me a lot of money!

I think 98's have an alarm, but if not I will get one soon.