Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Lowering Question on 95 civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
HCF Member
Default Lowering Question on 95 civic

Hi i have a 95 civic dx coupe and i'm planning on lowering it and getting some rims, probally 16's. I am wondering what type of suspension eg: coilovers or lowering springs i should use. It is a daily driver and I do drive it in the winter so it would be nice to be able to adjust the height. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Default RE: Lowering Question on 95 civic

Eibach is great stuff and i've been looking around at some lowering spings too... i'd like to know if there is anything that compares to Eibach for cheaper maybe... idk

Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Super Cereal Admin

If you want adjustability, decent price, and great quality all in one, I'd say look into Ground Control adjustable springs. It'll be around $325 shippped for the springs, and I can say from experience that they're amazing.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I would like to adjust the height and have a good ride, are they any other options?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Super Cereal Admin

well with you wanting to adjust the ride height, you basically have two options: full coilovers and coilover sleeves.

Full coilovers are basically coilover sleeves and struts in one package. They aren't all that much better than coilover sleeves, but they're a lot more convenient (and have more adjustability).

Coilover sleeves are basically lowering springs that sit on an adjustable perch... move the perch up or down to adjust the ride height. Ground Control and Skunk2 make some of the best/most popular coilover sleeves on the market. eBay ones (like DropZone) are decent, but I'm sure the ride quality isn't as good as GC or Skunk2.

Honestly, ride quality is probably worse with coilovers than lowering springs, but I think my GC's were liveable (especially considering how low I had my car)

Anyway, I'd say go for Ground Controls with some good shocks. I have KYB AGX adjustable shocks and love them.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

Ok Thanks, that helps alot. I think im going to go with coilover sleeves possibly GC. But what would be a good shock choice that will give a decent ride and not brake the bank ?. (I know that the ride wont be that great) Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I have KYB AGX shocks on my civic... I dont' have any complaints about them... they're 4-way adjustable, and they cost me like $370 for the set.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM

tein, skunk2, and eibach allmake full coilover kits. they're all great quality, but more expensive. if you want the adjustability of ride height dont even bother with coilover sleeves and spend the extra $ on a full coilover kit. otherwise get lowering springs from these brands above ($160-$220) and a set of performance struts by tokico, kyb, or koni. this will be less expensive than full coilovers but you cant adjust the ride height.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: projectlowkey

tein, skunk2, and eibach allmake full coilover kits. they're all great quality, but more expensive. if you want the adjustability of ride height dont even bother with coilover sleeves and spend the extra $ on a full coilover kit. otherwise get lowering springs from these brands above ($160-$220) and a set of performance struts by tokico, kyb, or koni. this will be less expensive than full coilovers but you cant adjust the ride height.
why do advise agenst sleeves?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

I definately would like to play with the height and if i went with sleeves i could swap the shocks out ifthey were crappy

Quick Reply: Lowering Question on 95 civic