Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

lowering spring install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member
Default lowering spring install

Hey guys, i have a set of Tien s-tech springs and a full set of skunk 2 sport shocks that will be here. My question is, will I be able to install these shocks/springs myself? or will I need also to have a spring compressing tool as Ive heard it can have potential for injury from the spring coming out with force. Is that true? I checked under the car and suprisingly it is completely rust free, all bolts and such. The exhaust where the flanges are also rust free, which will be nice when I get a cb system[8D]

Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: lowering spring install

I think you should get a spring compressor tool...

Old 09-22-2007, 11:09 PM
March 2010 ROTM

You can usually rent a spring compressor at Auto Zone, O'Rielly's, or Pep Boys. I rented one for 20 bucks at Auto Zone, then got 15 back when I returned it. And its not too bad of an install. But you might want to buy a couple extra LCA bolts...Mine were completely seized and I had to cut them, hammer, heat, and eventually they came out. But they were only 5 bucks at honda by my house.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Cereal Admin

You can definitely do it yourself with simple hand tools (trust me, air tools don't do you much good on spring installs). Go to autozone and either buy or rent a spring compressor ($20 to rent, $30 to buy).... I bought one becuase I have a few cars that I'll need it on (and I have some friends that'll need them), but if you only plan on doing one spring install in the near future, just rent one. Anyway, good luck with the install.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

Wrap the strut in a blanket. Put the base of the strut against a wall.(a solid wall, not sheet rock) Put your foot on the wrapped up strut. Use an air wrench and gun it! pay attention to where the nut goes. YOU WON"T GET HURT.
It's an optional way to do it.... IF you have no spring compressor. putting it back together is cake. the spring is shorter than the OE one. Trim a bump stop... maybe one notch.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

ok coolI think I can do it, is there a reason why the Tien springs have two different sizes, two of them are a bit longer then the other two. Do these slightly longer ones go in the front? I will take a picture and post.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

ok here are some pics of the springs and the rust free bolts, they are just a little dirty right now but ill pressure wash it before I work, I haven't yet gotten the skunk 2 shocks yet but I will take some before and after pics of the car later and post them up, see what you guys think

Springs
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...w/DSC00197.jpg

Bolts
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...w/DSC00208.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...w/DSC00203.jpg

Car
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...w/DSC00142.jpg

Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well RUST ya dont have to worry about...........

its the bolts seizing inside the inner metal sleeve.... THATS what ya got to worry about! tho i disagree... air tools rule
EXPETIALY with the spring compressors! RENT THE TOOL SAVE ALOT OF TROUBLE and be TOTALY SAFE ABOUT IT!!!!!!
plus i dont think youll be able to get the drop springs on without the tool!
at least i couldnt do it with my Stechs!!!!!

BUT if ya have a seized bolt on the lower control arm in rear you can bypass it by taking off the upper arm.... lets face it your already taking those 2 bolts out to do the washer trick..... ya just have to use your foot to move the suspension enough to pull the strut assembly out and to put it back in....

BUT if the strut LCA bolt is seized alot harder swap!
if i was you id try the rear LCA bolts first! and cross your fingers that they arent seized!
but like always BUY NEW LCA bolts is a good idea! expetialy if your replacing the struts! cheap insurance.....

GOOD LUCK... i love my Stechs!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

alright ill get some new lca bolts as I am replacing the struts with nicer ones. I will rent that tool as well. So what about the difference in length? Were yours different in length as mine are?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

the longer ones go in the front the shorter ones in the back, the longer one have a stiffer spring rate cause the fronts heaver, the shorter ones have a softer spring rate for the back, i remember so because i had s-techs when i had my civic and i put the shorter ones in the front and the longer ones in the back, man the front was slamed and it looked tight but the back was sitting really high. so the long ones in the front, the shorter ones in the back

Quick Reply: lowering spring install