Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

lowering your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Default lowering your car

just want 2 know what all i need 2 lower my car and keep the drivability good also is it true bigger rims will drop your car alittle

Old 05-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Default RE: lowering your car

if you buy the correct size tires for your new wheels, then it will not lower it.i suppose you could go with some like 205 35s and it would lower it a little if you really wanted. but then your spedo and mabie even abs would be messed up.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:18 PM

so when i got the right size wheels how do i lower the car bout 2inches

Old 05-14-2005, 07:41 AM

With some lowered springs.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:33 AM

so do i need any thing else so it will still ride ok or just the lowering springs

Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 AM

Get some dampers and camber kits too.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:53 PM

i am no expert in tuning but i can give you advice from my own experience. buying a good set of shocks, lowering springs and adjustable coilovers are essential to maintaining a smooth ride while giving you that lowered look you want. i personally installed a dropzone coilover and lowering spring set. i dropped it all the way, it looks sweet but rides like ****. it is a cheap set up. i have brand new auto zone shocks and it still rides crappy. remember this, any mod you make to your car almost invariably sacrifices something somewhere else, i.e performance sacrifices reliability, lowering and low profile tires sacrifice comfort. you really need to decide what is more important to you out of these three: ride appearance, ride feel, and cost of modification. If money is no object tokico makes great shocks and skunk 2 makes a decent coilover and lowering spring kit. (by the way, coil overs are the thing the springs rest on, you jack the car up and raise the coilover up or down by twisting it left or right to get desired ride height.) also, changing rim size to a larger size can give you a lower "look" around the tire by filling the wheel well up, giving less visible gap between the wheel well and the tire, but it will actually make the car height slightly higher because the raidius of the tire from the center to the ground becomes greater. hope this helps

Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM

kappa22 raised a good point with the camber kit too. the camber kit adjust the angle of the tire so the ride evenly instead of leaning in at the tops. a camber kit is fairly inexpensive and will save your tires from wearing out quickly and unevenly

Old 05-16-2005, 01:17 AM

Actually, if you buy quality parts and do it right, you don't have to sacrifice any sort of reliability for performance. I've used an H&R spring/Tokico HP/Ilumina combination on a few of my cars now, and in my opinion, it is the one to beat. Also, it'll only run you about $450 for all 4 corners (with the HP's).

Also, true coilovers are actually full threaded damper/spring combinations; what you're talking about are coilover sleeves.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:42 AM

ok if you read the second line of my statement, i said that quality parts was the key to a smooth ride, same thing you are arguing. i admitted that my system is a cheap one on my car, so i have no doubt about what you are saying about dampners. i should invest in a set since i do not have them. i honestly dont know anything about dampners except what you said, so thanks. also when i said sacrificing reliability for performance that was in reference to motor mods and not suspension. it is my firm belief that when you modify above and beyond that of manufacturer specs (other than intake and exhaust) you begin to wear on the reliability of the vehicle no matter how slowly. its a proven fact, racing modified motors do not last as long as stock motors, that was my only point.

also, i need to correct myself on something i said. i stated the springs sit on the coilovers, that is not the case. the coilovers actually sit on top of the springs, hence the name coilOVER. sorry bout that. like i said i'm not an expert, and its been a while since i messed with lowering my car. maybe i'm dislexic or somethin.

Quick Reply: lowering your car