Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

My brakes just took a flying shat.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Default My brakes just took a flying shat.

So my Ma borrowed my car yesterday and I knew I was going to need new brake pads soon and she tells me wow your car needs new brakes the passenger side sounds weird like grinding. Sure as **** It's metal on metal action. There's already an ugly *** groove in my pass front side rotor. Time to replace the rotors and pads ASAP on a budget of Zilch. That'll get me far........ I don't know I think I'm going to get some decent slotted rotors maybe by Brembo and some ceramic pads. But damn there prices are steep anyone know of a rotor similar quality to brembo for less $$$$? Thanx

Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: My brakes just took a flying shat.

HOnestly on a daily driven rarely tracked car, I see no reason to pay big bucks for namebrand performance brake products. Just go to Napa or autozone, spend 40-60 dollars and get some decent pads and rotors.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Good call your right. Should I atleast get ceramic pads? I hear that they give off less brake dust and last longer? That way I don't have to clean my front rims as much.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Ya know, I ran full ceramics one time and I've never had more brake dust that with those..

I now run Semi-Metallic, and only have to clean the wheels of dust once every few months.

And don't get me wrong, if you plan on going boost or something in the near future (within brake pad/disc lifespan) then the big boys might not be bad idea. I just don't want you to waste your money one something you don't need, leaving you strapped for cash on something you DO need, ya know?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 PM

Yah lol, I though about it and it would be pointless to put that much stopping power on a car that doesn't need it right now. I'll just put the money I was gonna spend on the slotted and put it twards my cat-back or springs. Hey so you had no luck with full ceramic? Are semi metalic more expensive?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

I think my front set was a total of $30 Pads were maybe $20

Old 12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I have the Brembo blank rotors on both of my cars, bought them at Tire Rack. I have the AEM pads on my Civic, they're alright, they do give off a fair amount of dust. My Legacy has Hawk HPS pads, totally different car of course but they are more aggressive.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 PM

Decided that I'm gonna get my rotors resurfaced and get some semi metalic pads from autozone. It's only $15 per rotor to get resurfaced and 18.99 for the pads with a lifetime warrenty. Not bad.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: dblclutchin

It's only $15 per rotor to get resurfaced
Thats way too much. I know of two shops around here that will do it for $6-$7 per rotor.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM

Sometime this month I plan on going with these Rotors. I saw them used in a Tuner Mag for a 95 Civic with a 5k budget, they're supposed have better heat resist and stopping power with big red brakepads.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: My brakes just took a flying shat.