Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

nail in tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:17 PM
HCF Member
Default nail in tire

so i found a small nail lodged into my tire. my tires are still pretty new. i plan to leave it in there but what do you guys think i can do. i'm afraid to remove it because i'm afraid that it made a hole enough to let air out. what can or should i do?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

If your near newark I can patch it for you for probably the cost of a patch.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jpnolan
If your near newark I can patch it for you for probably the cost of a patch.
how much does a patch cost?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned

go to any auto store and by a tire repair kit its easy to do just clean with the tool provided and insert the rubber patch stick and your done.the cost is from 15 to 25 for a good kit maybe cheaper they evan gotem at wall mart

Last edited by lowlife9; 02-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by lowlife9
go to any auto store and by a tire repair kit its easy to do just clean with the tool provided and insert the rubber patch stick and your done.the cost is from 15 to 25 for a good kit maybe cheaper they evan gotem at wall mart
i will take a look at those, i've seen them around. i need to take a look at them. thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 AM

Honestly, i'd just take it to a shop to get patched... it shouldn't cost much at all, I used to get tires patched for like $10 back when I used to run over nails frequently (knock on wood). I don't know about you, but i've never patched a tire before. I wouldn't want to patch my first one on my own car with nobody instructing me what to do.
Could turn out dangerous... food for thought.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

i called up a local shop near me and they say they don't patch them they plug them up for $15. does that work just as good? i just hit up another shop and they will patch plug and re balance for $31 or $41 don't remember. which method would be good for daily driving and not worry about leaking.

Last edited by sfazngiants; 02-21-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if your tires are pretty new take them to the tire shop that you bought them from and have them patch the tire. i only use patches on weekends or late night MUST repairs. you can patch the tire yourself easily enough but you need a few tools.... well you dont HAVE TO remove the valve stem but it works easier to glue the plug in if you go this route.

1 valve stem removal tool, to remove the valve stem valve AFTER you get all the air out of the tire...
2. the patch kit which you should buy the one with the 2 tools in it... one is a round ruff file, and the other is the tool ya push the patch into the hole.

just remove the wheel from the car, let the air out, remove the valve stem, then pull the nail with some pliers or if its a screw use a screw driver and unscrew it from the wheel to prevent any further damage, then use the file tool to stab right thru that nail/screws hole that way it opens it up a bit.. just keep pushen and pullen the tool in and out about a dozen times....
then open the rubber glue and put some ontop of the hole, push the tar patch strip onto the tool and lube it up again with the rubber glue and smash the patch thru the hole, twist the tool around and so the patch is half way in the tire hole and as soon as the tool is released from the patch pull the tool out and use some scissors to trim off the extra patch then just reinstall the valve stem and air the tire up.

the price the tire shop charges you for one patch can buy you the tools to patch about 4-5 nail holes!
and you can always buy more of those plugs.

but i always have my tires patched at the tire shop if i bought them at that tire shop. they pull the tire off and patch it from the inside which is always a better patch!
i know all the tires ive bought at discounttire they always quickly patch my holes for free since i bought the tires there.
and some shops like bigotires in town has also replaced a few valve stems for me for free if i carry in the wheel. so just carry in your wheel and see if they can hook ya up!

you can always BS them to repair the tire for free... just say id like to buy new tires but just waiting on your tax check and youd just like a patch to hold you over till you get your check

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Only use patches, not plugs.
Depending on how close the plug is to the sidewall, around corners at speeds the plug could eventually be ripped out of the tire. This is what the mechanics at my local Tires Plus told me. I trust them there, they have always given me good advice and given me a good deal on anything I needed. Hell, they even patched a couple tires for free.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well not sure about being pulled out... but if a nail is close to the sidewall its not repairable and the tire is junk pretty much. but if the plug is in the tread of the tire it wont pull out....
i pluged my old impalas tires quite a few times and i smoked those tires to hell and back and never had one fail...

but if its even close to the sidewall i guess it could because those are not repairable any way..... the tire flexes around the sidewall and no matter the patch or plug it will fail eventually.

Quick Reply: nail in tire