Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

need to figure how much to drop my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 AM
HCF Member
Default need to figure how much to drop my car

ok i just bought a 00 civic dx hatch and the guy cut the springs and i want it done right so im going to buy some new struts and springs but once my car is at the hight i like i wont be adjusting it so i cant see spending the extra money to get adjustable coilovers so its fixed for me. since the car is on cut springs its at the right hight i want it now but i have no clue how much it has been lowered. the bottom of the side skirt in the back is 6.25 off the ground and in the front is 6.75 is off the ground. i have on 205/40/17 tires and the gap between the body and the tire is just to small to fit my hand and is a just big enough to fit my hand in the back. can anyone measure there stock dx hatch and see or if your is lowered let me know how much lowered and how far off the ground, thanks a ton for any help, need to get this fixed as soon as i can

Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Angry Admin

8 inches

Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

^lol wtf

Old 07-11-2009, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

If I measure from the ground to the black plastic piece that is directly behind each tire, I get 4 inches in the front and 8 inches in the back. That's with a 1.5" drop in the front and 1.3" in the back with the Eibachs. To me, this is the best compromise between looks and the avoidance of scraping the underbody when traversing driveways and dips in the road.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Josh is saying the ground clearance on a stock civic is around 8". I was thinking it was closer to 7", but I haven't had a civic in over a year, and haven't had a stock-height civic in over 2

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
this is the best compromise between looks and the avoidance of scraping the underbody when traversing driveways and dips in the road.
Avoiding scraping the underbody is for wimps. Real men drop it to the ground. If you aren't tucking lug nut, it ain't a drop

In all seriousness, depending on the offset of your 17's, you can pretty much drop your car on its nuts. My old '94 was sitting 4" off the ground at the side skirts with 2.5" from the ground to the oil pan, all while riding on 17's. I was tucking to the line below the tread blocks (something around .5" to .75") up front and about half the rear tire with no rubbing problems; you just gotta be careful and angle over speed bumps and up into driveways... and don't bother with a front lip if you drop it that much... you'll shatter the poor thing (this is from experience lol)

Name:  photoshoot4.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  45.0 KB

brakes.jpg?t=1247446832

When I get another civic, I'm aiming for at least 1" lower all around on stock '99-'00 SI wheels

*edit: whoops, forgot the money shot

Name:  7-1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  35.6 KB
(this is what I'm pretty much aiming for with my next civic. This is what it looks like when you lower Ground Controls all the way )

Last edited by reaper2022; 07-12-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

yeah i wanna be a little higher than that lol, the roads around my house are all kinda bumpy and every drive way is high like gas stations and stuff are killing me lol i think ill be ok like an inch higher than you reaper, now the tires are about level with the fender and that is good, maybe 1/2 finger but idk how much of a drop that is... im guessing 2"ish???

Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Snail'n Admin

Originally Posted by reaper2022

Your car was dirty....matches you...you dirty boy

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^lulz

OP, a 2" drop brings the fenders down to about .5"-1" above the tires for the most part (obviously it'll differ depending on tire size). My old civic had about a 3" drop up front with about 3.5"-4" in back (I don't know exact numbers... the only downside to coilovers lol). A 2" drop is about the perfect sacrifice between style and drivability. Personally I'll take style over practicality any day (for the most part)

Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Angry Admin

chris i was actually just being a jackass i had no idea the stock ride height was 8" gtf on aim

Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Either way, 7" or 8" sounds about right... either to the bottom of the side skirt or to the bottom of the door... I forget what... I just remember measuring the ride height somewhere on my car when it was stock height and it being 7". I want to say it's to the bottom of the skirt, but I'm not positive.

Quick Reply: need to figure how much to drop my car