Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

NEED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 AM
HCF Member
Default NEED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT

ok so I have decided to strip my civic completely.....i already dont have a back seat or anything...but i do have a system that is getting taken out....spare and jack is already out along with carpet in the trunk....i am thinking of taking the carpet out completely but I dont want a bunch of holes....really like the stainless steel look...how difficult is it to do that?....also I want to get rid of my power windows and go down to manual with plexiglass....already lost the cruise and A/C also... only thing that i cant lose is my moon roof of course...but i do want to take out the dash except for what i absolutely have to have. any tips or tricks would be great!! OH by the way its was a 00 civic auto that i turned into a manual with a jdm B16A2.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: NEED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT

Forget the stainless interior. It's HEAVY. If you put anything back in, aluminum is much lighter. You could also try painting the interior with Herculiner. Go with aluminum control arms, strut tower braces, etc.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
HCF Member

this car should be a beast and killer time attacker if you work on suspension, put some pics up when you do some more weight reduction. throw some light weight seats in, cf hood, and that should be pretty fun to drive on the weekends or something. just not that great for a DD though.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

Oh, and get some very light weight wheels, that will pretty much double the effectiveness of what you're doing because it's unsprung weight that is more effective than sprung weight.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 PM

wuts ur reason for losing all this weight? filling in the holes with bondo or covering it with sheetmetal or w/e, will completely be a waist of time because u may actually add more weight than the carpet itself...u can loose ur moon roof, take out the sliders, glass, motor, etc...and replace it with something strong and light. lose ur powersteering. get as many carbon fiber parts as possible. lose door panels, side panels, sound deadening material, seat belt devices(other than the 1 u need), lighter seat, loose airbag, lightweight battery, leightweight wheels, lighter steering wheel, so on and so on...if u drive this daily, u'll prolly hate ur car after just a week. it'll be hella noisy, u'll hear every lil rock that scrapes the underside of the car andhear every lil sqeak the car makes.

if ur looking to do road racing or autox, its not worth the time or money unless ur extremely serious. even then, dont bother and focus on becoming a better driver for now.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

i want to lose the weight because i want a quicker more nimble car.....interior is already gone for the most part now....not worrying about putting anything back in for now....just have the front two seats and the dash right now....looking to take out the airbags and more of the dash....goin to keep the moonroof because its a DD and i dont have a/c. as for wheels i have riax wheels 16s....they are not super light but better than my old tz-10s...I also want to get rid of my si spoiler and get rid of my body kit and go either CF or something lighter than my T-2000 body kit i have now..its urethane. Not really bothered by the noise...I love the sound of my exhaust and motor. and road noise isnt that bad....will probably keep a cd player and a couple 6x9s so i dont get too bored though.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
DJC

Damn, your pretty serious about the weight reduction...considering its a DD. This kid who parks next to me at school did something along the same lines as you(minus the carpet taken out) but he couldnt stand it andput some stuff back on.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

I had thought about stripping mine, but then I think about driving around all the time with the noise, and no system. I dont think I could take it. I like my music too much.

And again, post us up some pictures.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 AM
HCF Member

well i have a quick disconnect on my amp and subs so they are really easy to take out if i go to the track or put in when its around town driving.