HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   need to replace brake pads/rotors (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/need-replace-brake-pads-rotors-42706/)

theredsuit 04-21-2007 12:36 PM

need to replace brake pads/rotors

Is it best to buy the parts from a honda parts dealer? There's nothing special done to my civic that warrents high performance after market stuff. But I'm not sure about the part quality from places say Canadian Tire or Parts Source. What do you guys think?

Also should I replace the calipers with rebuilds? The car has 200 000 km on it now and I think it's still on it's original set. I hate rebuilding the things myself but I can do it if the price is over the top for rebuilt ones.

Thanks

AgentofDarkness 04-21-2007 03:56 PM

RE: need to replace brake pads/rotors

Don't get parts from the dealer, that is just a waste of money. Either buy parts online or get them from a local parts store. You shouldn't need to replace the calipers unless they are broken or leaking. The pads that I got for my civic are Hawk ceramics. They ran me about $50USD but they stop really well and like them. If you just need a set of pads, I would pick up a set of ceramic pads from the local parts store. Don't forget to pull of the rotors and take them to a machine shop or a parts store that turns rotors. Make sure that your rotors aren't warped and/or too thin. If they can be turned, have them turned otherwise you will need to get a new set of rotors. If your rotors aren't warped and still have enough metal on them then you don't need to do anything with them.

theredsuit 04-22-2007 01:34 PM

Thanks Agent. I did some soul searching after I made that post and after I called Honda and found out doing the job myself would still cost close to 700 in parts!!![:o]

I'm going to get the rotors turned, and I picked up a couple caliper rebuild kits and a set of creamic pads for 69 bucks! :)

Now i need to buy tools and get a breaker driver for the rotor screws.

Thanks again!

StifflersMom 04-22-2007 01:52 PM

Impact driver isn't really needed...a T-handle phillips driver will work if you apply enough force to it.

AgentofDarkness 04-22-2007 04:05 PM

I have an impact driver and it makes it hella easier, especially if you have screws that are rusted to hell. The only real tools you need is a basic socket set and a C-clamp. Thats for the installation of the pads/rotors. I dunno about the caliper rebuild b/c I've never done it before but from what I saw from a DIY for bike calipers, its not too hard you might need a screwdriver and compressed air to pop the piston out.

addiction2bass 04-22-2007 07:29 PM

well if the cylinders arent bad i wouldnt rebuild them unless they are leaking or just realy weak AFTER ya get the new pads and rotors/drums turned or replaced.....

personaly when i replace mine im gonna get some brembo sloted rottors to replace my no clue drilled rotors.. and from what ive always heard is buy brake pads from napa autoparts if ya have a store in your area.... weve done some autozone brakes before and they just never did great at all!
but weve never had problems with napa parts...

AgentofDarkness 04-22-2007 08:24 PM

Also, do yourself a favor and don't reinstall the screws on the rotors

theredsuit 04-23-2007 09:33 AM

I tried the T-handle Phillips driver, the shaft was twisting! So I'll have to get that impact drive my dad has at home. Pretty neat, you hit the back end with a sledge hammer (2lb) and it makes the bit at the end turn about 1/4.

I've rebuilt a fewclaipers with my old man in the past and it wasn't too hard. A bit time consuming though getting it done right the first time. I'd buy new rotors but I won't be keeping my car for thatmuch longer,so I think it's better to save and have the old ones turned.

And YESI did buy my pads at NAPA, they even claim on the box that they're the best aftermarket brake pads EVER!!!! haha I think the ones from every store say that on the box so I'm glad someone here has an actual tried and tested opinion.

Thanks for the input guys.

skateman190 04-23-2007 12:52 PM

I'm going to get the rotors turned, and I picked up a couple caliper rebuild kits and a set of creamic pads for 69 bucks!

Now i need to buy tools and get a breaker driver for the rotor screws.

Thanks again!
its not that pricey to do brakes bro. i just did all of mine for about 250, thats with new rotors, ceramic pads, and new calipers with the ceramic paint for them, and brake fluid for bleeding your system. i say just get new rotors because they arent that much and will last you alot longer than resurfaced ones. anywho its not hard at all

StifflersMom 04-23-2007 12:54 PM

I have an impact driver and I only used it onc.e...after that I started applying antisieze to all bolts and screws:-D

theredsuit 05-07-2007 12:23 PM

Jobs Done!

If anyone ever tells you NOT to get rebuilt calipers or to rebuild your own when you do a brake job on yourcar,they're not giving the best advice. I decided to pull mine apart and rebuild them and guess what! They needed it quite badly. I saved 150 bucks in the process and I learned a bit more about my car (rebuilt calipers $75each, rebuild kits $5 for two). As much as we'd like to think of the brake system as being isolated from the outside elements that's not entirely true. After 207 000km(my car's never had them done)stuff gets in as theseals getoldand the metal will start to corrode in the caliper.Brake fluid is a special oil designed to adsorb water moisture, but only to a certain degree. So if you have really old brake fluid in your system chances are you will have some corrosion in your calipers. No biggie if you catch it in time though. A little crokus cloth and you can shine them up new again. All in all I spent100 dollars CDN with4 hours of time (figureing things out,I could do it in two hours now)and I have "new" brakes on my civic.

I also turned my rotors. That cost almost as much as two new rotors from taiwanbut they had almostno wear.I'll take turned,highqualitysteel over cheap taiwanese rotors anyday. Just my opinion. So that's my first brake job experience on my Civic. Hopefully I won't have to do them for another 200K :)

addiction2bass 05-07-2007 05:30 PM

well i only rebuild them when they wont work right.... but i do always flush the whole brake line system!

brake fluid is cheap and bleeding the brakes is realy easy with some clear tubing to fit the bleeder nipple.....

just stop when the fluids clean ;)

theredsuit 05-08-2007 11:38 AM

Agreed! I don't want to do that again for awhile. Bleeding is much easier, just make sure the pistons aren't sticking.

Now i think my reardrums are making noise![:'(] There's just no end... I should have checked them out while i had the car in the garage. SOB!

addiction2bass 05-08-2007 01:57 PM

well if your rear drums should be realy easy to swap out ;) hell i gotta replace those every other year on my 66impala.LOL they CONSTANTLY go bad! i always get new ones for it.... best thing to do on rear brakes when swapen those out is just jack the rear of the car up.... that way when ya remove the brake line all the fluid doesnt run out and drain the whole system... and also will help when bleeding the brakes since the air will be back thier.

theredsuit 05-09-2007 07:29 AM

I'm su****ous, I let my girlfriend take my car to work the other day and that's whennoise started. I'm wondering if she forgot to take the E-brake off! My poor car! :(

Amazing how that impala eats through a set of brakes in just twoyears. I've put73 000km on my civic since I bought it in 2003 and I just did the brakes now. It must be a function of the car's weight and why the brake wear has been so slow. I guesseverything is coming due. I'll try and pull my back tires off this week and see if it is the drums, or an issue with the new padsup front. Thenoise seems to stop whenmorebrake pressure is applied which leads me to believe it's the rear drums.

addiction2bass 05-09-2007 11:18 AM

o well my impala doesnt eat the pads... it eats the solonoids that push the pads out.LOL
but what do you expect for something that was made in 1966 and has MASSIVE drum brakes all the way around...LOL as well as all the drums are worn and cannt be turned... and they just cost to much to replace them.LOL
its just a old school with old school technology.... still stops fine. but definatly not a daily driver at all!

theredsuit 05-10-2007 06:40 AM

That's damn cool!

The grinding noise went away... I wonder if it was just noise from the rotors and pads burning in?? I'll have to see what the car does over the next few days when I get it out on a longer drive.

theredsuit 05-23-2007 06:36 AM

Well it's not the brakes, and that noise is still there only now I reallize that it's a creak not a grinding noise. It only occurs when I apply the brakes, light or hard the level of the creak remains the same so I believe it isn't the brakes. They just seem to cause the noise.

The sound slows down with the car(creak, creak, creak....)so it's definitly something that is turning under there. That should discount the Strut.I also get no feed back in the steering wheel which helps me eliminate the brakes as the culprit.

Could it be the bearing or drive shaft CV joint? Stupid noises! Anyone have any idea?

tl12356 08-09-2007 04:48 PM

Like they say it 's the nature of the beast...
My wifes old car,(1996 Caravan) used to eat pads,rotors,drums every year or two.
That's why she driving a Honda Accord now.