Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

need to replace brake pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Default need to replace brake pads/rotors

Is it best to buy the parts from a honda parts dealer? There's nothing special done to my civic that warrents high performance after market stuff. But I'm not sure about the part quality from places say Canadian Tire or Parts Source. What do you guys think?

Also should I replace the calipers with rebuilds? The car has 200 000 km on it now and I think it's still on it's original set. I hate rebuilding the things myself but I can do it if the price is over the top for rebuilt ones.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2007, 03:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: need to replace brake pads/rotors

Don't get parts from the dealer, that is just a waste of money. Either buy parts online or get them from a local parts store. You shouldn't need to replace the calipers unless they are broken or leaking. The pads that I got for my civic are Hawk ceramics. They ran me about $50USD but they stop really well and like them. If you just need a set of pads, I would pick up a set of ceramic pads from the local parts store. Don't forget to pull of the rotors and take them to a machine shop or a parts store that turns rotors. Make sure that your rotors aren't warped and/or too thin. If they can be turned, have them turned otherwise you will need to get a new set of rotors. If your rotors aren't warped and still have enough metal on them then you don't need to do anything with them.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Thanks Agent. I did some soul searching after I made that post and after I called Honda and found out doing the job myself would still cost close to 700 in parts!!![]

I'm going to get the rotors turned, and I picked up a couple caliper rebuild kits and a set of creamic pads for 69 bucks!

Now i need to buy tools and get a breaker driver for the rotor screws.

Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Cat Fuсker

Impact driver isn't really needed...a T-handle phillips driver will work if you apply enough force to it.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

I have an impact driver and it makes it hella easier, especially if you have screws that are rusted to hell. The only real tools you need is a basic socket set and a C-clamp. Thats for the installation of the pads/rotors. I dunno about the caliper rebuild b/c I've never done it before but from what I saw from a DIY for bike calipers, its not too hard you might need a screwdriver and compressed air to pop the piston out.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if the cylinders arent bad i wouldnt rebuild them unless they are leaking or just realy weak AFTER ya get the new pads and rotors/drums turned or replaced.....

personaly when i replace mine im gonna get some brembo sloted rottors to replace my no clue drilled rotors.. and from what ive always heard is buy brake pads from napa autoparts if ya have a store in your area.... weve done some autozone brakes before and they just never did great at all!
but weve never had problems with napa parts...

Old 04-22-2007, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

Also, do yourself a favor and don't reinstall the screws on the rotors

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM

I tried the T-handle Phillips driver, the shaft was twisting! So I'll have to get that impact drive my dad has at home. Pretty neat, you hit the back end with a sledge hammer (2lb) and it makes the bit at the end turn about 1/4.

I've rebuilt a fewclaipers with my old man in the past and it wasn't too hard. A bit time consuming though getting it done right the first time. I'd buy new rotors but I won't be keeping my car for thatmuch longer,so I think it's better to save and have the old ones turned.

And YESI did buy my pads at NAPA, they even claim on the box that they're the best aftermarket brake pads EVER!!!! haha I think the ones from every store say that on the box so I'm glad someone here has an actual tried and tested opinion.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

I'm going to get the rotors turned, and I picked up a couple caliper rebuild kits and a set of creamic pads for 69 bucks!

Now i need to buy tools and get a breaker driver for the rotor screws.

Thanks again!
its not that pricey to do brakes bro. i just did all of mine for about 250, thats with new rotors, ceramic pads, and new calipers with the ceramic paint for them, and brake fluid for bleeding your system. i say just get new rotors because they arent that much and will last you alot longer than resurfaced ones. anywho its not hard at all

Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Cat Fuсker

I have an impact driver and I only used it onc.e...after that I started applying antisieze to all bolts and screws:-D

Quick Reply: need to replace brake pads/rotors