Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Need tires soon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Default Need tires soon!

2004 Civic 4door EX 5 Speed

Greetings , i am new here. I have another tread asking about where to start with upgrades . But I will also need to replace my tires soon. What tires would you recommend. Have any of you ordered online to save money? I have access to all equipment to change my tires so thinking the online route.

You input would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Need tires soon!-img_6471.jpg  
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM

discounttiredirect.com has good deals

check out Falken tires

Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

im more of the local guy since if a problem pops up like a flat or other tire issue you can take it to the shop and have it swapped out that day if it needs to be replaced.
at least thats just me. well worth the little bit of extra money for the extra service.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM

cool. thats for the info.. you bring up a good point too bass addic/

Old 07-11-2009, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

Here's what you do - shop online at www.tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com and if you HAVE to buy locally, take the prices of the tires you want with you and ask that the local place match them. If your tire shop guy says "Well, we don't charge you for shipping.", you say, "That's true, but the online tire store doesn't charge me for sales tax."

According to the latest Car & Driver magazine tire test, the best low-cost tires out there are:

1. Dunlop Star Spec
2. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO
3. Kumho Ecsta XS
4. Bridgestone Potenza RE760
5. BF Goodrich G-Force KDW
6. Yokohama S.Drive
7. Falken Azenis RT-615
8. Nitto INVO

I have the Falken Ziex 912s and so far, they have been great tires for the money.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i had some kumho ecsta ASX tires and i liked them quite a bit on my old 17s. and the 17s before then i also had the ASX tires on em. never had a simple problem with any odd wear or to much road noise. snow traction was alittle weak but thats to be expected from a lowprofile tire.LOL

Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

According to the tire test article, the Kumho XS did great on dry surfaces but was HORRIBLE on wet surfaces. If you drive in the rain, stay away from those tires. The test was done using a BMW 3 series, so not all of these tires are available in Honda sizes.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:33 AM

thanks a lot man.. wow this has been informative. This is what i was hoping for.,. honda guys who know there stuff.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM

question.. i just measured from the bottom to the top of the rim and it was 16 1/2 .. is that a 16" or a 17 " rim?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM

The first question you should be asking yourself is what conditions you will be driving these tires in(rain, snow, ice, etc..) and how long you want them to last(look at how much driving and how aggressive you driving is).

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
Here's what you do - shop online at www.tirerack.com or discounttiredirect.com and if you HAVE to buy locally, take the prices of the tires you want with you and ask that the local place match them. If your tire shop guy says "Well, we don't charge you for shipping.", you say, "That's true, but the online tire store doesn't charge me for sales tax."

According to the latest Car & Driver magazine tire test, the best low-cost tires out there are:

1. Dunlop Star Spec
2. Hankook Ventus V12 EVO
3. Kumho Ecsta XS
4. Bridgestone Potenza RE760
5. BF Goodrich G-Force KDW
6. Yokohama S.Drive
7. Falken Azenis RT-615
8. Nitto INVO

I have the Falken Ziex 912s and so far, they have been great tires for the money.
Numbers 1, 3, and 7 are aggressive tires with soft compounds which reduce life and they are designed for warm/dry conditions. They won't hold up very well in cold climates and it's def. not a good idea to use them in the snow. Rain is OK, but heavy, standing rain can be scary. The others seem like Summer tires. I have the Yokohama S. Drives and although I do use them in the winter time and have driven in light snow with them, I'd highly advise against it. Otherwise, they are great in dry and even wet conditions.

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
According to the tire test article, the Kumho XS did great on dry surfaces but was HORRIBLE on wet surfaces. If you drive in the rain, stay away from those tires. The test was done using a BMW 3 series, so not all of these tires are available in Honda sizes.
This is because these tires were designed primarily for competition use.

Originally Posted by nohoguitar
question.. i just measured from the bottom to the top of the rim and it was 16 1/2 .. is that a 16" or a 17 " rim?
Take the wheel off, probably clean up the backside of it and look for some numbers that are stamped on either the spokes or the center near the center cap. There should be a couple numbers like 16x7, or 17x7.5(just examples), that will indicate your wheel size and what tire size you should go with.

Quick Reply: Need tires soon!