Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

New Aftermarket Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:40 AM
HCF Member
Default New Aftermarket Tires

I'm pretty new to this whole car thing. I just recently learned how to drive a manual, which I got for free from my oldest step-bro, but he left it in real ****ty condition.
I just replaced both front axles with the help from a friend and there's a lot of body damage. But anyway; now you know I'm not exactly experienced.

My tires, I think they're stock but I'm not totally sure, are getting pretty beat up and I need to think about replacing them pretty soon here. I haven't compared the tires on the car with what the owner's manual says, but here are the stock tire specs from the manual:
175/65 R 14 81H

Looking for a set of decent all-seasons. Newer to this manny tran, so in the winter with ice and snow, I don't want to always have to be worrying about skidding and such.

So basically, what's a good bang for the buck deal?

And do I have to stick with the same rim size? I think I'm confused with what new tires exactly entails...new wheel and tire (metal and rubber) or just rubber...

Thanks guys

Old 10-17-2008, 10:37 AM

i don't know anything about winter tires, obviously

when you replace a tire, it's just the tire.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
HCF Member

are you sure they are 175/65 R 14? sounds kind of small for 14" rims, look at the door jam to find the tire size or on the tires itself. i can't recommend tires to you that can stick well with snow and ice because i don't use my tires in snow and ice at all. no snow and ice in san francisco, the last time i remember it snowed a little here in san francisco is 3 years ago. lol

Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM

what year/model civic?

www.tirerack.com can help u choose out the right size and w/e tire best fits ur needs.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

1995 civic lx
no ABS
Yeah, pretty sure those are the specs, they are pretty small tires.
The tread on them is still pretty deep, but one of them has a leak, it dropped from 29psi to just over 11psi in about...2, maybe 3 weeks, the others lost about 5psi in that time span.

I'm thinking about getting just new wheels and tires, I don't think I can get very wide tires with those wheel frames or whatever.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:56 PM

check the tire to see if it has a nail in it. if the nail is towards the center of the tire, u could have it pluged for very cheap or maybe free at a shop and keep using those tires untill their life is over.

but yeah ur tire size is 175/65R14

heres a list of tires in that size, including some winter tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...9&startIndex=0

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I was lookin through the website, thanks for the link, it'll be quicker to access through this. Really appreciate it.
Wish there were lower profiled tires, but I guess it's tough with 14"

Old 10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

I've tried looking around and it just comes down to the fact that, I don't know what I'm doing. I don't understand the plus sizes very well, and how they would affect my car (such as too big for the wheel well, or whatever it's called, whether or not it'll mess up my speedometer, etc...)
1995 civic lx, no abs
What's the biggest wheel I could put in there (no mods done, hasn't been lowered or anything like that, no body kit).
And/or what's a suggested wheel to fit. My wheel/tire specs are already posted.
I need to know my limits so I don't go that far and what might be suggested.

Sorry I'm so frustrating.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 PM

really the biggest you would put in that year civic would be 17's, but I would go with 16's.

with any wheel size you just have to use the right tire and your speedometer will be fine (unless you put on wheels that are too big to the point where lower profile tires won't compensate for the speedo error, but they'd have to be at least 18's to cause that to happen)

Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 PM
HCF Member

I actually used excel and made a formula to do calculations so all you have to do is put in the rim size and tire measurement and it will tell you how much larger or smaller it is then stock. Most people say don't go more then 3% over or under.

Keep in mind this is designed for cars with 185/65r14 as stock, but if you just change the stock tire (fire one) then it SHOULD properly calculate the difference.

HOW TO USE IT:

After extracting the file from the zip folder.

1. Input your wheel (metal bit rubber bit sits on, or 3rd number in the tire's measurements spec) into the orange column

2. Input the width of the wheel (first number in tire measurement sequence) into the yellow column

3. Input the Sidewall height (second number in tire sequence) into the light blue column. It will automatically convert it to a percent.

4. Check the difference column and it should tell you how much over or under it is. 100 is stock, so anything under that is smaller then stock and anything over 100 is larger then stock.

You can use this sheet to figure out what size rim with what size tire will be closest to stock. There are already some examples there from when I first made it, hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
wheel calculator.zip (2.6 KB, 12 views)

Quick Reply: New Aftermarket Tires