Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

New coilovers are in now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 AM
HCF Member
Default New coilovers are in now what?

I just put in new adjustable skunk2 sport coilovers with eibach ground control springs. I was wondering If its possible to raise it by just tightening the springs?

Name:  0328112221.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  85.1 KB

I tightened them a bit yesterday but it didnt make much of a difference. I occasionally get rub when i crank the steering and hit a bump and it cant go over speedbumps without scratching the cat.

I was also wondering if new tie bars and new subframe reinforcements make a big difference?

thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM

you should be able to raise the car by moving the collars up.

No experience with tie bars. Do not waste your money on a subframe brace if you do not plan on getting a sway bar. Large meaning bigger than 15mm. I have the ASR brace/24mm sway bar/endlinks and love it.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Super Cereal Admin

What he said.

As far as the rubbing goes, I assume you have aftermarket wheels? If so, the offset might have a lot to do with it.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM

To adjust the ride height you have to unlock the perches, spin them up the threads(or down if you want to go lower) and then when you have the ride height you want, lock the perches. You'll probably need another alignment after you adjust the height though..

Strut bars and lower tie bars don't make a big difference. There's no need to spend hundreds of dollars for them. The cheap ones on eBay work and fit fine, esp for the price.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

no i have the stock wheels. thanks civicxracer.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Okay. If you have stock wheels it's the ride height (and possibly amount of camber, but I'm assuming you probably don't have a camber kit). Are your front wheels tucked?

Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 AM
HCF Member

idk what you mean by the front wheels being tucked?

also how do I unlock it?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Cereal Admin

The tires compared to the highest point on the fender arch; if the tires go past the fenders and are partially up inside the fender it's "tucked".

And to unlock the perches, use the two adjusting wrenches (one on each perch) and twist them in opposite directions. To adjust, wind the top perch up to where you want it, then wind the bottom one up to the top one and twist them towards each other, locking them into place. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge is pretty much limited to Ground Control coilover adjustments.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

ya I already adjusted it. but to raise it do I just keep tightening the springs? cause thats all that the perches really do. Also the front end is tucked a tiny bit. the back is even.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 PM

Raise the car, unlock the spring perches then sping the top perch up to raise the height of the car. Make sure that when you are spinning the perch that the threaded sleeve is not spinning with it. After spinning the perches up, drop the car and take measurements(or eyeball it if you don't care about it being perfect). Once you have the height set, you then lock the perches by spinning the bottom perch all the way up to the top perch and then lock them. Judging by the picture you posted, you should be able to raise the car atleast an inch and a half all around.

Quick Reply: New coilovers are in now what?