Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

OEM Rim Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Default OEM Rim Feedback

Rook here who has been lurking for quite a while, picking up knowledge...

...I've got a 96 EX Coupe with OEM 14" wheels (non-alloy) and wanted to improve the look and handling. I am not really looking for much... in fact, I'm completely satisfied with some of Honda's factory alloys. Am I safe looking at any Honda alloy with the 4x100mm lug pattern? From my research, that includes the Del Sol and a wide variety of Civic models. Are wheels from other Honda models okay to mount on Civic hubs? Are there wheel weight or balance issues I need to be aware of? Are there caliper or brake clearance issues that would keep me from moving up a size? To I need to look at toe or camber? I'll be changing tire sizes to keep overall circumference as close as possible, obviously... don't want scrubbies.

Ideally, I want to move up to 15" rims and probably no further. Again, this is just to put a little bit bigger contact patchon the ground. No, I'm not a tuner - the only other mod on this car is a K&N filter. This is a daily driver with a car seat in the back and 130K+ miles on the clock. Having done most of my mods on '70s muscle cars "back in the day," I'm just looking for a minor upgrade in the shoes. Probably the only thing the bride will let me do - good Lord, she doesn't want to lose me to the garage again...

Thanks, gents, for helping an old fart and former wrench...

Phoop out.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: OEM Rim Feedback

you could get some si rims i think those are 14', but if you get some 15' they would look perfect in my opinion, it also depends on how much you want to spend on rims and tires?

Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Phoopster

Am I safe looking at any Honda alloy with the 4x100mm lug pattern?
Yeah, you'll be fine. I put 16" "Honda Factory Performance" rims, from an 05 Civic, on my 99. Check out collegehillshonda.com, that is where I got mine, they have a pretty good selection.

And welcome to the forum!

Old 01-29-2006, 12:55 PM

Not trying to sound arrogant here, but price isn't really an object here. Since I'm not buying the bleeding edge of cool, I probably won't be shellling out terrible bones. Tires will either be Michelin or Dunlop. According to 1010's calculator, I can shoe the thing with 205/50/16 and have the identical diameter, so maybe 16 inch wheels are doable...

If the lug pattern on the stock Civ is 4x100 and the lp on the Accord are 4x114.3, does that mean the lugs themselves are 14.3mm longer? If so, Accord lugnuts would be required, yes?

Still looking for answers on wheel weight, clearance, and camber/toe issues...

Thanks!

Phoop out.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Phoopster

If the lug pattern on the stock Civ is 4x100 and the lp on the Accord are 4x114.3, does that mean the lugs themselves are 14.3mm longer? If so, Accord lugnuts would be required, yes?
no no, the 100 (or 114.3) part means how far apart the holes are from each other. You need 4x100 wheels

Still looking for answers on wheel weight,
it's not really going to be an issue, unledd you're planning on racing. If you get heavier wheels, you will notice that you need a little more braking force to stop them.

clearance,
you need 45mm offset, I'm pretty sure all the Honda wheels you're looking at will be 45mm offset

and camber/toe issues...
changing your wheels isn't going to mess up your alignment.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:58 PM

Thanks, MXS.

If 100mm is the distance between lugs center-to-center, then that narrows myc choices. Good to hear clearance is standard across the line of OEMs.

Thanks for the quick response, folks!

Phoop out.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

4 on 100 is a very popular bolt pattern....there are thousands to choose from. What limits your selection is center bore and offset.