Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Painting my calipers and drums

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Default Painting my calipers and drums

Hi I bought some red caliper paint at pep boys. I plan on painting them tomorrow. The calipers and drums aren't rusted or peeling. What is the best wayto prep them for paint? Scruff them with a wire brush then wipe clean? Thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 06:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Painting my calipers and drums

I'dsay....don't do it. It's gonna look bad, and ricey. Trust me. But if you insist, go for it man.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

i painted my calipers black a couple weeks ago. they look great compared to how they used to look. only thing is i wish i painted them silver instead of black. i still may change in the future. i dont think it looks rice at all but i'd try to keep them matching with your car to a certain extent. and ya i just cleaned the dirt off them with a good wire brush and sprayed them with brake cleaner. then wipe any dust off and start painting. good luck

Old 06-02-2007, 11:30 PM
HCF Member

i pressured washed mine then with a bench wire wheel wire brushed everywhere i could reach. wiped clean and painted them shinny aluminum. Just keep it consistant with your color scheme it will be straight. holla

Old 06-03-2007, 05:22 AM

Yea maybe I should buy some green paint instead of the red. Thanks

Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Hey man, red is NOT ricey. Look at any true Brembo capiler, those are red. Mine were red, but I didn't prep that much so it chipped all over.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

Hey man, red is NOT ricey. Look at any true Brembo capiler, those are red. Mine were red, but I didn't prep that much so it chipped all over.
But he doesn't have Brembo's, does he?

My personal opinion, I wouldn't paint my stock brakes anything flashy, but that's personal preference.

Painting drums, however, is not a matter of preference. It's just wrong.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

well i gotta paint my drums but they will be black. theyre already black but look old and might have some rust on them. so i just wanna clean them up. maybe i can use chrome/silver paint and they can pass as disks.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

my personal preference....... if the brakes are stock.. meaning anything BUT BIG brake kit.... needs to be black...

and for preping them for the rear drums... if ya have accesss to a bench wire brush then pull the drums off and wire brush all the paint off to bear metal... on my stockers the paint preaty much PEELED off most of it.... then just clean them with some caliper cleaner every time ya spray and wipe it use a FRESH rag/towel and keep repeating until the rag is clean.

the paint should stick great!!!!!!! i got no problems from my rear drums! ive only got one 1-2inch flaked spot on my front rotors... but those are cause i didnt bust out the wire brush to bear steel that great... but my calipers are fine.... just rotors and drums spin and just move more so needs to be preped realy good.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Well I painted them today. I think they look really good. I will post pics tomorrow when I can take them. I scraped all the old paint off with a putty knife and a flathead screwdriver in the corners, then I washed them and scrubbed them to get off grease/grime. Then I wiped them clean and applied two coats of Dupont red caliper paint.

Quick Reply: Painting my calipers and drums