Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Park brake or E brake?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
HCF Member
Default Park brake or E brake?

I assume most of you probably have the ghetto park brakes on your civics, and my question is, what all would be involved in changing that pansy little park brake to an e-brake.

Is that something that just comes from the factory or can it be modified yourself?

I like the idea of being able to pull that sucker and throw the rear end of the car around, I used to do that with an older car I owned, It was just handy to have as an option.

If anyone has attempted it, or knows some info that might lead me in the right direction I would love to hear it!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Park brake or E brake?

ur car is an automatic i presume??? i think all manual trannys have the center console E brake, well at least mine does lol

Old 01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

What do autos have? Dont they ahave e-brake as well? All the automatics I have been in do...

Im confused[>:].....

Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

Well, I have a center mounted pull handle brake, but its not fit for anything other then holding your car in park, or slowing down at a snails pace. I am used to E-brakes that Grab hard, literaly haulting the rear wheels where they stand. This brake doesn't do that, and I have seen similar brakes in other cars that act that way.

Can they be tightened or something, to get that outcome ?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

hmm im not sure im confused as well, i have a center console and it locks all the wheels up wen i pull it...mayb somethin is wrong with urs

Old 01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

Ya I think there may be somthing wrong. I used to do e-brake slides in my old car, which was a auto, and it stuck when i pulled it, even with my moms truck, once you pull the e-brake, your not going anywere.

Pull off the rear drums, check the condition.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

I kinda wonder how the set-up is anyway, It seems like its only cable actuated, and only to one side of the car, like the drivers side. I am sure the drums and pads need to be replaced anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if thats what it is.

There's nothing like a wet weather parking lot slide!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

^^^ haha tru that...even though i feel like im abusing the car in some way....and be careful of drains, i was sliding around and my front wheel fell into the crevice that the drains make, which arent very big, but wen ur sliding at 25mph , i hit that thing and i thought the car was gonna flip, scared the $hit outa me!! lol

Old 01-16-2007, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

well if the parking brake itself is going bad you have to do that in the drum

but on mine if you take the console off via like 4 screws on the side, there's a little cable attatched to the back of the e-brake that you can tighten or loosen, so you can make it catch sooner so that it's faster to get it all the way to the top, but make sure you dont do it too tight and the parking brake is on even with your e-brake is all the way down

Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I have had that console off quite a bit, i was just thinking about tightening it a little, but I still don't think I will get the effect I was looking for, I will just have to check out the drums.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Park brake or E brake?