Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Plastic Shield

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:19 PM
HCF Member
Default Plastic Shield

Im just curious to know how many of u have removed/ altered the black plastic shield that is located in the front wheel wells. I find that when i have my 17's on, with thenew stiffer shocks...large speedbumps or sudden bumps at high speeds cause the shocks to rebound and the tires to skin that shield. I wouldnt classify it as rubbing, its just a light scrape (if you can picture a rubber wheel scraping? lol) Now i have looked at removing it, and it seems really easy, but there has to be some consequences to doing that. Since the washer fluid is so close to the wheels, im thinking that removing that shield could cause some rocks or debristo get projected into the well and crack the fluid container. But i see some of u with ur wheels tucked or really low, and there is no way that shield wouldnt get in the way. Its not really a problem and it doesnt cause any damage to the tire or the fender; just some erosion on the shield itself, but i dont like my car making uneccassary noises lol. On that same note, i dont like removing shields just to stop a dumb little noise which will result in some bigger problems. wddufxup??

Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Plastic Shield

Yup..... every mud puddle you hit.... ALL the crap will spray up to the inner fender, fill all the little crevases (HOW EVER YOU SPELL IT)with mud and stuff. Also, a good deal of it will come up under the hood as well. Places you didn't think about in the past as far as gettin grubby.... will ! behind the headlights etc.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Cereal Admin

everything's going to get dirtier, but beyond that, you shouldn't have any problems. I took those rubber things off a while ago... I'm not sure my front wheels could be tucked as far as I have them with those fender-liner things anyway.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

Aaron with the red 3000gt in our town took his out totally, and he doesn't seem to have any problems besides dirt, but then thats not a civic.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

really? lol ive never seen that kid around but apparently he lives here.....

Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

What!?!?!?!?!?!??! you've never seen the red 3000gt with gunmetal 5 spoke 18's and loudass ballsy exhaust, he rebuilt the whole engine, and put a dodge stealth tranny in it. I know you have seen it.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well something you could try is buy some lower profile clips for that panel. i found out that my stock fatty clip was rubbing with my Stecs so i put in a lower profile clip and also used alittle hammer to bent the mounting tabs up and in alittle bit and now my tires clear... close but clears
ya dont even have to take the liners out... just use a little hammer and hit the moutning tab points alittle bit on the fender lip and they will tuck up a bit tighter.
just hit it towards the inside a bit. ya dont want to hit the outter fender lip.