Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Powdercoating Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Default Powdercoating Rims?

Anyone have any experiences with this? Or think this is a good/bad idea?

The guy I bought my car off of offered me the rims he got with them for another $200. They are silver, but I was going to a blackout look on the car. So instead of dropping 1k on black rims I thought of geting these for $200, and getting them powdercoated, since it is fairly cheap and durable. But is it durable enough to endure life at 100+km/hour?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM

It's a good idea, in fact it's the best way to get your rims painted.

Please ignore the post ***** above me. He is coming on the forum and post whoring, getting banned, and making new accounts.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

powder coating the rims would last a while and should last you couple years. but depends if the rims you are getting is worth powder coating. i remember i got quoted $100 per rim when i asked about them. if you got quoted at that price it would come out to be $600. at that price i think you will be able to get a pair of decent rims. unless you like the rims you got in that case powder coat them

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

what if you just wanf the center powder coated not the lips u think it would be cheaper ,leswork or more work ,less paint ,by the hour i cant figure it out.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM

^sounds like more work

Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM

The rims I was looking to get are in the pic below. Please ignore the rust spot...pics from previous owner. He had to pic the one spot on the entire car with a bit of rust on it.

Anyways, apparently they're the only ones in Newfounland(where I'm from), super light and super durable. I've already looked around and found that the cheapest set of black have to be done in a special order, and will cost around $1000. Where they're not popular around here, they're hard to come by. So $600 for the work wouldn't be that un reasonable.

No the cars not lowered that much, there was a 430 lbs man sitting in the trunk.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

powercoating is extremely strong and durable if done correctly. I do powder in my shop, and have done some wheels for a few folks, and they came out really nice...

I will say this, just shooting them all one color will be cheaper and much easier than masking off the lips and or changing colors...

I would suggest you go to www.eastwood.com and look at the color choices that they have listed there and make your decision before comiting to someone to do the job for you, and make sure that you specify that you want a specific color, there are crinkles and translucents, mirror black, and smoke chrome, lots to choose from... Just make sure that whoever is doing the work for you uses a non silica based blasting media(i've heard of some powders reacting in the cure oven to silica residues)

one other thing to think about is when you get your tires mounted and ballanced.. if they use the edge hammer on weights(like what was allways used on steel wheels) it can and has caused the PC to chip...