Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Question about KYB strut mounts/boots

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 AM
HCF Member
Default Question about KYB strut mounts/boots

I went to the kyb website and saw some other products, the strut boots and strut mounts.

http://www.kyb.com/products/ scroll to the bottom

Would the kyb mounts be necessary, does it offer any advantage? I read the description, but is that factual info?

As for the strut boots, could they be used on the rear shocks as well. My suspension/car gets dirty every week(due to where I work) and if those boots could fit both the shocks/struts that'd be nice.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Default RE: Question about KYB strut mounts/boots

I have the KYB strut mounts and boots on my car right now. When I ordered the strut mount, I was expecting the whole strut mount, but really it's just the two rubber bushings, a washer, and the metal tube that goes inside of the two rubber bushings. I don't think the strut mount is necessary.

I have the strut boots too though, and they're great. They're ribbed in such a way that allows them to compress like a spring whenever the struts compress. This keeps you from having to cut the stock strut boot when you lower the car.

Yes, the strut boots can be used on the back too.

I bought mine from tirerack.com If you look at the strut mount picture you can tell why it could be deceiving.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Question about KYB strut mounts/boots

thanks, looks like I'll be getting those strut/shock boots

Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
HCF Member

are you sure it's only the bushings/washer/metal tube? The picture they have shows the entire mount.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by jbum
are you sure it's only the bushings/washer/metal tube? The picture they have shows the entire mount.
how would i not be sure?
i bought them and they were only the bushings, washer, and metal tube...

It has the picture of the whole strut mount but you only receive the hardware/bushings

i even mentioned in my previous post how it's deceiving because of the picture...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:50 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
how would i not be sure?
i bought them and they were only the bushings, washer, and metal tube...

It has the picture of the whole strut mount but you only receive the hardware/bushings

i even mentioned in my previous post how it's deceiving because of the picture...
sorry, wasn't questioning your eyesight. just always thought it was the whole thing. Damn it!!!! i think i still need to refresh the bushings. too bad the washers and metal tube would be a waste since they don't need replacing. thanks for the info.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

when I ordered my AGXs, the rear struts came with a new bumb stops and dust covers. so you won't need to buy boots for the rear. I think its this way for the 96-00 civics

but definetely get them for the front.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sigracer10
when I ordered my AGXs, the rear struts came with a new bumb stops and dust covers. so you won't need to buy boots for the rear. I think its this way for the 96-00 civics

but definetely get them for the front.
curious... do yours have a **** on the side, or is it at the top of the shock piston?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
curious... do yours have a **** on the side, or is it at the top of the shock piston?
my rear shocks have the **** on the side toward the bottom of the shaft. and the left and right sides are opposite so the both ***** are toward the rear of the car. so you have to get up under the car to adjust it.

and the fronts have the adjustment at the top of the piston so that you adjust those in the engine compartment.

first pic is front, second is rear

pictures courtesy of KYB.com

Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM

nice, all four of mine are on the piston

though, i would be scared that a stick would bump the ****

Quick Reply: Question about KYB strut mounts/boots