Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

questions on lowering my ride :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM
HCF Member
Default questions on lowering my ride :D

Well i knw this is gunna go 2 ways.I just want clarification. I want to lower my car and knw there are two options. Coilovers or Springs. Now before you behead me, i was wondering if i get new shocks with the springs will I be ok (persay). Also i want my car low, but not so low that i have to avaoid speed bumps all the time. Thx get back 2 me.

PS. I luv this forum

Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Alright, this is a very common question. There are many combinations; just springs, springs with lowering struts, lowering struts with coilovers, or full coilovers. Some include top hats, and some you have to reuse oem suspension components. If you only want to lower your car, and not change it, then i suggest springs. If you want to lower your car without a harsh ride, then I suggest springs and new lowering shocks. If you want adjustability, then i suggest either full coilovers, or coilovers with lowering struts. Just do a lot of research.

and it will be helpful to know what you want. (i.e. adjustability, ride height?, ride quality?, spring rates?)

Old 12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
HCF Member

atm i just want sytle so im going for ride height only. i just needed a second opinion because my friend told me today springs with springs and lowering shocks it will eventually bottom out and my best bet would be coilovers. I knw coilovers are dependable and great but i really dont need that now i just wanna lower it enough to my liking and leave it. Also, what is a good height for the springs if i want the car to be low enough to clear speed bumps w/o scraping the bottom or body?

Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 PM
HCF Member

It depends on how fast you travel over speed bumps, if you have a lip kit/ body kit, your car model, and what size wheels and tires you're driving on.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

currently everything on my car is stock this would be my first big mod i just want to know before i do something bid. The car is a daily driving car i dont go over 90mph (most times)

Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

It all depends on quality when it comes to durability. and just b/c they're coilovers doesn't mean they're dependable. A lot of people street coilovers (such as myself) and are not careful and end up blowing one. If you're daily driving whatever car it is. I would go with a lowering spring / lowering strut combo with matched valving for a comfortable ride. If you only want to lower it about an inch or so, then it's fine to drive on factory struts. Anything lower, you will need aftermarket lowering struts. And alignments are key for your tire's life after a vehicle is lowered.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
HCF Member

sweet thanks man i appreciate it, how low do you have your car? and any recommendations on where and what brand you might think is sufficient?

Last edited by TN4sty 305; 12-06-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:34 PM
HCF Member

I've had my car lowered on several different suspensions. In my signature, it's at factory height. I used to have it dropped 2.5" on springs, then I dropped it 2.5" on coilovers, then I raised it back up to factory height on coilovers, now I'm back with factory suspension, and I'm installing my coilovers again with other suspension goodies as soon as I return home..

Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
HCF Member
Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 AM
HCF Member

you would be set with that combo bro, also you might wanna think about dropzone coilovers, they are $300 shipped. A lot of people on here liked them so if your interested just search "dropzone coilovers" in ebay and they will come up, but again if you choose the combo above you will be fine.

Quick Reply: questions on lowering my ride :D