Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

quick alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 AM
HCF Member
Default quick alignment question

ok well i went to pepboys to get a wheel alignment as i noticed my car likes to go quickly to the left when i let go of it and my steering wheel shakes back and forth......the guy at pepboys said before he does the alignment he needs to change my outter tie rod and my front tires before doing the alignment.... he wanted $130 for the tie rod job......since i plan to get rims in the next 3-4 months and i only put about 10-15 miles a day average on my car would it be ok to wait till i get my rims for the alignment or would i harm other parts buy not getting the alignment? also wut is the purpose of the outtertie rod?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: quick alignment question

http://www.carcare.org/Steering_Susp.../tie_rod.shtml

i waited a couple of months b4 i actually got an alignment and it got worse after a while. i needed to replace both outer tie rods and i changed the left tie rod when i had to replace both and kept putting off replacing the right one. after a while the bushing in the right control arm broke and whenever i turned to the right i would have to turn the steering wheel back myself. but i got all that fixed the same dayi almost got into an accident. so i guess im saying dont wait too long lol.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:56 AM

You should not wait to get that fixed , very dangerous thing to do.
Mine fell out while I was driveing straight, no control of the car..gets scary at that point:

Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM

mine did the same thing. Then, after i rebuilt my front end with skunk2 and energy suspension parts it was a nightmare turned into a dream come true!!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
June 2010 ROTM

The tie rods are what they adjust when they do an alignment. If you know about cars do it yourself, but 130 is a GREAT deal to get it done!!! That parts usually cost that much!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

thanks guys, the guy said i should get new front tires, can i just use my rear tires and switch them with m front tire since the fronnt tire are worn??? and whats a good deal for an alignment?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Well, if you drive like an a$$ like I do, get a "lifetime" alignment deal. I got a lifetime (4yrs) alignment deal for $120. I can go as much as I want, whenever I want. So, I go everytime I raise it for winter and lower it for summer. And, yeah, you can switch the tires, but your back end is going to slip out a lot more (if you race, that sucks, unless you drift).

Old 03-24-2007, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

if the tread is ok on my rear tires and it is even, will the alignment go correct and wont unalign?? i dont race that often only on occasion and i dont drift at all

Old 03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
June 2010 ROTM

It doesn't matter what kind of tread you have to align the car. They mount devices on the rims. The road test afterwards might not be as helpful to the driver by it really doesn't matter.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

but if the tread is uneven then the alignment will eventually go uneven am i correct??, i mean if both the tires have inner tread that are uneven compared to the outter tread then after awhile the wheels will unalign again, atl east rthats wut i was told

Quick Reply: quick alignment question