Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rear Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Default Rear Suspension Issue

OK, got a big problem.

I was trying to replace my shocks, and I snapped the head off the bolt to the hub assembly. [] (see the 1st picture) I got a grinder and got the arm loose, however the remains of the bolt is now rusted in and wont budge, Ive tried lube/rust/solvent overnight, hammering, a steering wheel puller etc... nothing works. So if anyone has any ideas on how to get it out please help me!

Now if that can't work, I want to remove the whole arm and get it replaced, however, I fear that the bolt/bushing combo on the frame side are rusted solid as well. I have tried all of the above and a breaker bar and it wont budge but I haven't busted the bolt yet as you can see in the 2nd picture. My last resort is to grind off the bolt on both sides of this mount, however that is LAST RESORT... the last thing I want to do is damage the frame.

I want to fix this myself, but if I need to I will take it to a shop... if that is the case does anyone know a good shop in the Denver area?

I swear I'm about to I have to drive a ford till I fix this [:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8243/EE10931DD74E4CABB3141440B9BCC84C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8243/E28B6761EE5F4E3A840FA693B8D55466.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Rear Suspension Issue

wow, what a wierd cooincidence... I just did the exact same thing, and was about to post about it.

EDIT: Check that, after looking at the pic a second time, I realized I actually snapped the other one, holding the shock to the LCA.

Old 03-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

So, upon further research, it seems the general consensus is that you should just plan on replacing those bolts/nuts when installing your suspension. I've read a ton of threads from other forums saying the same thing, they're a pain in the ***, and they almost always break.

So, to the stealership I got tomorrow to pick up some new ones, and hopefully by Monday morning I'll be rolling on the new set-up....fingers crossed...

Old 03-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Thanks Forty04....

looks like I'll be going to the "stealership" as well. But my only redemption is if someone can tell me how to remove that stuck in bolt... cause I'm not sure that a 3" 10 strength bolt can be drilled out... so any other ideas? or anyone know where I can get my hands on a drill bit that would handle that? Otherwise... I got some more grinding to do[&o]

Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

go to the hardwear store and check it out..they do sell bits that will drill through that

forty forty..im looking forward to seeing pics of your new set up!!!!no more monster truck jokes

Old 03-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Yeah, when you break a bolt, drilling is almost always your first and best option, since replacing parts can get pricey. It takes a steady hand, but since that hole isn't threaded (I think...) you don't have to worry about tapping new threads afterward.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Cat Fuсker

If you start drilling those out w/o a drill press plan on replacing things...I was driving with mismatched LCA's because I've had three of those bolts break...and to get them out I used a torch...

Old 03-19-2006, 01:50 PM

If you torch 'em, don't melt the bushings...

Old 03-19-2006, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

anyone tried an air hammer on them? seems like that might work.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

I got mine out, but destroyed the bushings in the process. The ever growing shopping list continues......

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Issue