HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   reinstalling stock springs, held needed (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/reinstalling-stock-springs-held-needed-55428/)

reaper2022 11-10-2007 02:40 PM

reinstalling stock springs, held needed

Okay, well I'm putting all the stock parts back on my civic so I can sell it. Anyway, I'm currently in the process of getting the front springs back on. I took the shocks and coilover sleeves off the car, pulled the coilovers off, and put the stock spring back on the shock. My only problem is now I can't get the strut back in place! The upper ball joint (or whatever it is) is in the way, so I can't use spring compressors... and I don't want to take the lower fork or whatever it is that holds the shock in place off because there's a bushing there that I'm pretty sure is seized, judging by the fact that the bolts won't move (the rear LCA's pretty much scarred me for life the first time I changed the springs lol). Is there any way to easily get the struts back on the car?

civicexracer 11-10-2007 02:52 PM

RE: reinstalling stock springs, held needed

unbolt the pinch bolt and slide the shock out? if u had enough room to pull the coilover off, u should have plenty of room to remove the shock.

reaper2022 11-10-2007 02:55 PM

well, I pulled the shock and the coilover out as one piece... now I'm trying to get the shock and stock spring back on as one piece... any ideas?

civicexracer 11-10-2007 02:59 PM

maybe unbolt the lower ball joint nut and pull the arm down more

reaper2022 11-10-2007 03:01 PM

^ because I can't get the spring and shock back on to the car... I can get it up so the strut tower bolt stud things are in place and the bolts on, but I can't get the bottom where it's supposed to be

and civicex, I'll try that... thanks

mxs 11-10-2007 03:01 PM

Why would you need spring compressors to put the shock assembly back into the car??

reaper2022 11-10-2007 03:06 PM

okay, after looking at my suspension, I realized I have no clue what nut to pull off lol... anybody have pictures or diagrams? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to suspension lol

mxs 11-10-2007 03:07 PM

I don't see how compressing the spring would help. If you can't get the fork off the control arm then separating the ball joint should do it.

FYI the rear stuff seizes up much easier than the front. I broke 4 bolts on the back of my Civic and nothing on the front.

civicexracer 11-10-2007 03:09 PM

its the last bolt on the LCA under the hub. its a castle nut with a cotter-pin thru it. u may also need to disconnect the front swaybar endlinks to allow it to come down more.

civicexracer 11-10-2007 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

I don't see how compressing the spring would help. If you can't get the fork off the control arm then separating the ball joint should do it.

FYI the rear stuff seizes up much easier than the front. I broke 4 bolts on the back of my Civic and nothing on the front.
word. i've never had a problem with the front bolts.

reaper2022 11-10-2007 03:19 PM

okay, well I tried for a few more minutes, and I got the bolt on the fork broken loose, so I think I can get it off that way... thanks for all your help guys.:D

*edit: yeah, I got that strut back on the car... just one more to go :D thanks again

mxs 11-10-2007 03:28 PM

Word. [8D]

civicexracer 11-10-2007 04:43 PM

word.

addiction2bass 11-10-2007 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT.... cause in a few days im going to try and remove my upper control arms...... :( only downfall about new adjustable arms is they dont come with the mounting hardware :( and i dont want to have to buy a new control arm just for the mounting hardware :(

windcalmer 11-10-2007 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT
You question The Marnie? Bad Idea, bad idea. ROFL

addiction2bass 11-10-2007 05:38 PM

ya i HOPE HE IS RIGHT...... i dont want to spend another 80bucks for a new balljoint assemble that i only need the mounting hardware from....LOL

i wonder if i can sell the new balljoints and arms.LOL

civicexracer 11-10-2007 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

ya i HOPE HE IS RIGHT...... i dont want to spend another 80bucks for a new balljoint assemble that i only need the mounting hardware from....LOL

i wonder if i can sell the new balljoints and arms.LOL

uh oh.......better hope The Marnie dosnt getcha![sm=smiley3.gif]

addiction2bass 11-10-2007 06:26 PM

well the 94 does have 209K miles on it.LOL i should start a poll on seized bushings to find out HOW MANY people truly have problems with thiers and how many people havent had the dreaded seized bolt/bushings!
im guessing it would be 98% seized problems.LOL

im tired of cutting these dam seized bolt/bushings out!!!!!!!

mxs 11-10-2007 06:32 PM

First of all, I'm not a "he" and I hope that was a typo [8D]

Salt and grime and crap get kicked up by the front wheels and sprayed onto the rear suspension. It doesn't get sprayed onto the front.

addiction2bass 11-10-2007 06:43 PM

MY BAD ;)
well the DOUCH that had the car before had the inner linings out so thiers all kinda of crap up in thier......
i realy hope its not seized BUT seeing how everything SO FAR has had problems..... i wont be suprised :(

this cars goal is to nickel and dime me to death and its doing a DAM GOOD JOB!!!!!!! :eek: anothe rweek of geting paid and left with under 15bucks in my bank account and a empty wallet :(

Civic Dx 349 11-10-2007 07:03 PM

Addiction,

When you go to change them out and if you have broken bolts, let me know and I can probably help you out with the ones on my 95 that Im using for parts now that the frames bent. Like I told you in our PM last week, before long, that car is getting sold for junk and crushed cause Im not messing with the bent frame. It had Tokico Gas shocks and Neuspeed springs on the front but one was tweeked so Im trying to find, Just ONE so I can use them on the front of my 95 Dx haha. If you run into any problems and need any parts be sure and let me know man!

addiction2bass 11-11-2007 11:29 AM

thanks but na.... im buying brand new bolts from dealership... i dont want buy any used bolts.LOL
i dont think i need much help on my 94 cause ive already done work to my 99suspension so im preaty decent at the basics. im jsut waiting on parts now.... i hope i dont have any more problems with my suspension alignment and ill be done with everything major on this car...

reaper2022 11-11-2007 01:16 PM

jeez, talk about thread jacking, addiction... jk man:D

anyways, I got all the springs on with no problems... none of the bolts were seized. I don't really think you'll have any problems, addiction... but prepare to get charged a s**tload for those bolts... I replaced all the bolts on my rear LCA's when I put the coilovers on... they came out to like $50 (but I ordered 4 of them on the internet, so I had to deal with shipping)

addiction2bass 11-11-2007 02:00 PM

ya i think the bolts are like 8bucks each...... it sucks.... BUT worth it for the perfect size bolt!!!!!!!
just a price ya gotta pay for the perfect threads...... im TRYING not to cheap out on important parts..... trying that is.

i used to get all my bolts and parts next day... but on these 3 bolts for my rear toe adjusters are backordered :(
he was suposed to call me back with a estimated time but no word yet :(

i figured you wouldnt mind a hijacking if you were done with the springs ;)
so are you gonna reuse your GCs on your newer civic?

reaper2022 11-11-2007 02:16 PM

of course:D... I think I'll get Koni shocks this time, though.

addiction2bass 11-11-2007 03:33 PM

so which springs did you get and howd ya like them?
i was considering geting some soft springs BUT now that i think about it if im gonna slam it down i might want a stiffer spring to have less chassic flex so i dont have to worry AS much about rubbing tires..... LOL

reaper2022 11-12-2007 02:10 PM

I just got the standard civic springs (so I guess they'd be the softest ones)... I liked 'em a ton, but they still weren't all that comfortable (but then again, what can you expect with the drop I had? I mean, I was an inch away from tucking the rear wheel lol). I did have some rubbing up front when I was going around turns and I hit a bump (at under15-20 mph), though... still, I was tucking about 1/2" to 3/4" of the front tires, so again, what can you expect? If you do end up buying those fenders, you'll see where the tires were rubbing. Which reminds me, I'll try to get those pics to you tonight if I can remember (for some reason my phone won't send emails, so I have to send the pics to someone else to be emailed to me)... if you want to see pics of them on my car let me know... I have tons of those (before and after I painted them)

*edit: here's a question I have... to anybody with GC's and Koni shocks (*cough* mxs *cough* lol)... would I need to order anything from Ground Control to use my coilovers with Koni shocks? Because I ordered the kit for KYB shocks, but it also came with those rubber sleeve things that the instructions said to use for Konis (I hope I kept all four of 'em)... do I just need those sleeves or what?

addiction2bass 11-12-2007 02:49 PM

well the rims also make a huge difference in ride..... ive been planing on only geting some nice 15s for the 94... so i want to keep more rubber and keep the rotating weight down a bit.... i might do somemore lightweight motor parts like the flywheel but not awhole bunch... not racing it but i do want to keep it a sporty feel ;)

ive seen your fenders in your gallery... still interested in them tho it might be a bit till i can send ya money for them...... have a few things i need to get done to the civic.... not to many things at least ;)
i was gonna fix my stock fenders BUT those things are just to flemsy.... no wonder they are so bent up :(