Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

reinstalling stock springs, held needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default reinstalling stock springs, held needed

Okay, well I'm putting all the stock parts back on my civic so I can sell it. Anyway, I'm currently in the process of getting the front springs back on. I took the shocks and coilover sleeves off the car, pulled the coilovers off, and put the stock spring back on the shock. My only problem is now I can't get the strut back in place! The upper ball joint (or whatever it is) is in the way, so I can't use spring compressors... and I don't want to take the lower fork or whatever it is that holds the shock in place off because there's a bushing there that I'm pretty sure is seized, judging by the fact that the bolts won't move (the rear LCA's pretty much scarred me for life the first time I changed the springs lol). Is there any way to easily get the struts back on the car?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: reinstalling stock springs, held needed

unbolt the pinch bolt and slide the shock out? if u had enough room to pull the coilover off, u should have plenty of room to remove the shock.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Super Cereal Admin

well, I pulled the shock and the coilover out as one piece... now I'm trying to get the shock and stock spring back on as one piece... any ideas?

Old 11-10-2007, 02:59 PM

maybe unbolt the lower ball joint nut and pull the arm down more

Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Why would you need spring compressors to put the shock assembly back into the car??

Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ because I can't get the spring and shock back on to the car... I can get it up so the strut tower bolt stud things are in place and the bolts on, but I can't get the bottom where it's supposed to be

and civicex, I'll try that... thanks

Old 11-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Super Cereal Admin

okay, after looking at my suspension, I realized I have no clue what nut to pull off lol... anybody have pictures or diagrams? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to suspension lol

Old 11-10-2007, 03:07 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I don't see how compressing the spring would help. If you can't get the fork off the control arm then separating the ball joint should do it.

FYI the rear stuff seizes up much easier than the front. I broke 4 bolts on the back of my Civic and nothing on the front.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 PM

its the last bolt on the LCA under the hub. its a castle nut with a cotter-pin thru it. u may also need to disconnect the front swaybar endlinks to allow it to come down more.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

I don't see how compressing the spring would help. If you can't get the fork off the control arm then separating the ball joint should do it.

FYI the rear stuff seizes up much easier than the front. I broke 4 bolts on the back of my Civic and nothing on the front.
word. i've never had a problem with the front bolts.

Quick Reply: reinstalling stock springs, held needed