Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Replacing pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM
HCF Member
Default Replacing pads and rotors

going to receive my new pads and rotors on monday and installing them on friday. Have a few questions. What brake fluid do i need to use? Dot 3 or Dot 4. also what brand is good? Do i need to clean the brake rotors with brake cleaner before i install?

what else do i need to know thanks.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 PM
HCF Member

use either dot 3 or 4. i like using ate super blue since it's easy to see when i'm done flushing the fluid.

i personally clean the rotor with soap and water before install

Old 09-23-2010, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

bump any more help?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

Mind those torque specifications.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM

yes, you clean the rotors with brake cleaner. They are coated in this weird grease compound to prevent rust during shipping. You'll see what I am talking about when you open the box.

You don't need to mess with brake fluid. All you have to do is once the pads are off the caliper take a C-clamp and use it to compress the caliper piston. The master cylinder lid must be off during this.

But, if you are going to flush the brake fluid anyway, you need DOT3 or higher. Keep in mind you'll need to flush all 4 corners to effectively flush the system. Might be worth it to have a shop bleed your brakes for you. It's kind of a pain in the *** to do yourself without speed bleeders or a vacuum bleeder or similar tool.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

my friend is installing it for me and he told be to get a bottle of brake fluid. he works at firestone so i assume he knows what he is doing

Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

Do not use dot5

Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM

^why can't he use DOT5? (serious question. i don't know)

and dude, is this the same friend who said cryo-treated rotors warp more easily? Just because he works at firestone doesn't mean he is always right. I'm not saying he's wrong about the brake fluid, I assume that he's going to bleed the brakes when he does it or he's going to bleed them to compress the caliper. You just shouldn't trust everything he says.
Hell, the crew at my local firestone tried to tell me I needed a new A/C compressor and expansion valve, totaling $1200 in parts and labor. Turned out a relay needed to be replaced. Cost me $5 and took <1 minute.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

same friend. lol

i am having major problems with tirerack probably not going to order from them again. took 4 days to get all kinds of verification problems corrected. and now that the package was suppose to be delivered today but i called ups to get the package picked up. but i can't because tirerack chose the service that i can only get it when i am home. so now i can only wait till 12pm then i got class till 4. so the package might end up being send back to tirerack. might have to skip class just for the package.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM

weird, mine came 4 days earlier than anticipated and I didn't have to be home to have it delivered... and my order was more expensive too

Quick Reply: Replacing pads and rotors