Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Default Rotor question

Hey all. First off, I am a total newbie when it comes to mechanics. I know very little of the technical stuff and rarely do anything other than change my oil. My brother however is the mecahnic of the family. Anyways, I am having a problem with my breaks and there is a vibration whenever I stop. So my brother guessed that it was the front rotors and when I took my car into a local shop they said the same thing. However the shop would not give me a quote on the price for replacing the rotors. From here my brother told me that it would depend on whether the rotors were "press-on", or need a special tool, or not. The shop would also not tell me this and I can not sem to find this information anywhere on the internet. So basically, I have a 1997 Civic EX and need to know if that year/model uses "press-on" rotors. From what I hear it is the difference between around $100 and $300 to get this done at a shop if they are and my brother also does not ant to touch them if they are. Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Rotor question

Well, first off WELCOME to the forum!

Dealing with Civic brakes is a piece of cake. You don't need any special tools or anything like that either. Theres absolutely no reason to bring the car into a shop and paysomeone to replace rotors, thats just silly. Even the most un-mechanical person can handle this job. If you need any help along the way post up, or pm me and I'll do what i can to walk you through it.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:14 PM

Your rotors are not press-on. You could change em yourself easy. Make sure you clean em well with brake cleaner to degrease em.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Cat Fuсker

change pads with them also

Old 08-19-2005, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: hestonforprez
there is a vibration whenever I stop. So my brother guessed that it was the front rotors
Yes, it would be the front rotors that are the problem. They're warped. If they are fairly new rotors and haven't been worked on before, you can just take them off and then take them to a shop and get them "turned". This will straighten them up, and then you can re-install them with new pads, and you'll be fine.
Should be able to get em turned for $10-$15 each.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 PM

Wow, thanks for all of the fast replies. Anyways, I will tell my brother and have him replace them, as I am more a technical computer guy than a car guy. I hope I can rely on this forum in the future for any questions I have. For now, I am gonna scour the forums and pick up as many tips and hints as I can. *bookmarks page*

Old 08-19-2005, 09:00 PM

brakes are easy
pick up some new rotors and pads and the vibration will be gone. some loctite will be a good idea on some of the bolts as well

Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

some loctite will be a good idea on some of the bolts as well
i learned this the hard way.[:@]

Old 08-19-2005, 09:35 PM

i dont think i want to know sac

Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Cat Fuсker

I would like to know though...I didn't use any, now I'm worried