Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

self alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
HCF Member
Default self alignment?

i know its something i dont wanna mess with, but is it that bad of an idea, i wanna give my rear alittle bit of negative camber and the places i go to won't do it. i'm trying to get my fenders rolled. but shops are scarce around here. figured i could rock some negative camber for a little bit till i get them rolled. but im not sure how to do it, or if its a BAD idea for me to even touch it. i have blox camber adjusters btw.
just looking for thoughts and opinions on this.
thanks in advance.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 PM

I have a friend who has a 96 altima with d2 coilovers etc etc. The coilovers themselves have camber adjustments on them. However, he can't find anyone to adjust the camber to how he wants it.

He then just went ahead and bought a lifetime alignment plan. When you get an alignment, the shop gives you a print out of the before and after measurements (at least shops in my area does). He then adjusted the camber a little bit, took it back for another alignment and got the reading, changed it again, another alignment, changed, alignment, changed, and finally another alignment. I guess it was his little way of working around the fact that the mechanics said no to performing camber adjustments. It now sits exactly where he wants it. haha

Old 09-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

as long as the toe is set. I DONT THINK adjusting the camber would matter to much.
but if the alignment shop wont do it then they are lazy and dont care!
my alignment shop gave me as much camber as he could dial in to make it not rub with my drop. worked great.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
as long as the toe is set. I DONT THINK adjusting the camber would matter to much.
Yeah. Except for the little detail that camber adjustments change toe.

It's possible to do your own alignment, but to do it properly means buying some fairly expensive tools to use to get your readings. You're probably better off just getting it aligned by a professional.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

no where will do it cuz they consider it "un aligning" the car... its dumb. and no where rolls fenders, one place kinda near me does, but they are so hard to get a hold of.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM
HCF Member

addiction, you rolled your own fender lips right? i found a roller for rent for $50 for a week. but im scared ill mess up the 1/4 panels. is it that hard, or should i pay the extra $100 or so to get them done a shop that is pretty sketchy looking?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-E...motiveQ5fTools

and then when your done just put it back up on ebay for about the same price or knock off a few bucks and you get ur money back =)

Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if your scared about your quater panels then bust out a magnet and make sure it all sticks... if it doesnt stick then you MIGHT have bondo work...

my black civic had alittle bondo work on the inner lip, sucked cracking it off BUT it was just on the inner lip so was nothing bad. i just sanded the bondo smooth and busted out some black spray paint to make it match

the tool is very easy to use! they do recomend you heating up the paint before and while rolling but your still going to get spinder cracks in the paint so best after you roll it is to tape off the outside areas of the car and spray some undercoating or clear coat all over the areas you rolled.
and for the rear you only really have to roll the top area... tho it might depend on how low you are.... i tried to roll the whole fender lip arch from bottom trim to the bumper cover...
biggest PITA for me was rolling around the bumper cover corner.... since the roller wants to pop over the corner and be pushing on the bumper cover. but its no big deal just anoying when it pops over and you gotta either yank it back or loosen it up and move it back. 50 a week is a good price if its local and you dont put down to big of a deposit! like total it all up and dont give them anymore money than what the tool costs brand new!!!!!
otherwise you might as well buy it brand new, use it and then sell it back on ebay.
i bought and sold 2 fender rollers on ebay doing that... first one i just rolled my civic and sold it 2 days later. second one i had i tried to do a rental service on this site but no takers so i just used it on my silver civic and then sold it on ebay.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

but the process isnt that hard? did you practice before you did it to your black 99?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o no not hard at all. just do little by little dont try and roll the whole fender all at once...

like how i did it was roll the very tip of the fender lip to roll it up with more of a curve. then just worked from there...
just do little by little changing the angle of the roller head and lengthen it to make it sit good for you rolling and just put alittle pressure on it.... go back and forth... put more pressure on it and so on and so forth
ya im a dork... and NO metalica was on the radio i didnt edit that crap in or listening to a cd.LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHM-A...&feature=email

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...der%20Rolling/

hopefully that helps ya out but its very easy nothing to be scared about unless your fender arch is full of bondo! if it is full of bondo thats when you bust out the cutoff wheel and just start grinding and cutting it out, only downfall about that is you still have a sharp edge to cut into the tire IF it ever hits it.

best part about the fender rolling is it arches the inner lip upwards so its smooth part IF it rubs the tire. think of it like you running up on a curb with a smooth edge,,, then think about it driving over a knife blade up... it would slice right thru the tire.
well gotta go my stomach is growling loud at me.LOL

Quick Reply: self alignment?