Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

severe wheel shake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Default severe wheel shake problem

ok about 2 months ago i slammed into a pothole (never saw it) and well the car was running fine. NOW all of a sudden, there's a HORRIBLE wheel shake. I cant take it past 60 mph cuz it becomes unbearable! any ideas? alot of ppl told me it might be the tire. my mechanic told me its the cap that covers the axle; its missing and he says it causes the wheel to shake cuz it cant distribute weight properly. IDK what to do. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Default RE: severe wheel shake problem

could be a bent wheel or the alignment just got knocked way out. unless the center cap weights alot, i wouldnt think it would mess up the balance of the wheel. plenty of ppl remove the caps and the car drives fine.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

i was in the same situation, it was my alignment. Do you have aftermarket wheels? Could have bent something, although it seems like it woulda started as soon as you hit.....

Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM

i figured if i bent the rim that i would've been feeling it from before. These rims are pretty sturdy so I dont think its the rim. My mechanic inspected it and he said the rim was in good shape. He said it might be the tire but the wobbling/shaking occurs only when i'm going around 60 mph. There is a shaking whenever i drive but its bearable. This is really beyond me.. thanks for your help guys. Anybody else have any ideas?

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

Alignment. I bet something funky happened with the toe.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

"out of alignment" will NOT cause a vibration problem. wheels, out of balance, or bent. or a warped rotor.... but not alignment.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 PM

^ I disagree... my car was shaking like crazy around 65mph, got a 4-wheel alignment and it drives great...

Old 09-15-2007, 09:10 PM

well i have to buy a new tire cuz the tire does not hold air pressure. Like i fill it up in the morning and then at night its flat. I usually have to buy a fix-a-flat twice a month its a waste of money and i love the smoothe ride of my civic! I really needa fix this so whenever i replace the tire (hopefully on monday) i'll get it checked out by a tech and see what they tell me..

Old 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM
HCF Member

It might be a wheel bearing. Back quite a few years ago, I slid down an embankment (icy highway) and slammed into the hill. My guesses for your problem would be the bearing or the wheel, but I wouldn't rule out a suspension component.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

same prob here, but around 80 mph, idk wat it is mabey alignment but some kid told me to hit my brakes hard to see if it pulled left or right and he said if it doesnt then your alignments find but idk. your alingment is prolly out of wack

Quick Reply: severe wheel shake problem