Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

snow chains?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Default snow chains?

Hi
I'm new here and am hoping I can get some help. I'm planning a trip to Tahoe and have an '06 Civic EX manual. This would be the first trip to the snow for my car and I'm guessing I should have chains just in case? I guess what I'm trying to say is I have no idea what I'm doing and a little advice on how I should prepare for this trip would be greatly appreciated. I've seen some talk about people purchasing their civics and finding in the paperwork that they're not allowed to use chains (it'll void their warranty). Does that apply to me too? Ugh I had no idea I would become a snow person before buying my car... it just happened haha. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: snow chains?

if the chain snaps and wraps around you're axle and damanges it, im pretty sure the dealership wont cover it in the warrenty. How often do you drive in the snow, can your justify snow tires, and just store them when you dont need to drive in the snow?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM

snow tires unfortunately do not fit my student budget right now and i'm not sure how serious i am about tahoe yet. if it becomes a regular thing, i may consider trading my civic in for a pilot or something...
i thought i would just try the chains first (if they're even needed at all). last year when i went around in early january there was hardly any snow on the ground around the roads... but my friend was driving her car so idk!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

i would say try them just why your up there if you need them.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:35 PM

i just bought 4 all season tires and we seem to be getting hit with a fair amount of snow in colorado. but i think you should be fine. as long as you dont drive like a complete and utter moron in the snow you should be good. just go slow

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

i have winter tires in the winter and summer tires (with my 17" rims) in the summer. In the winter, of course i have problems in 2'+ of sticky powder, but other than that i get by jsut fine. Just dont spin the tires, try to keep it at low RPMs if you're stuck and you should be fine

Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

I don't like this idea. I would rather chance getting stuck than chains on my car. Where you going that there would be enough snow that you would ned chains?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Last year, when I went to Tahoe (CA), it was my first time experiencing snow (and I was 21 at the time.. total Cali beach babe haha). My friend drove her older civic auto but brought chains just in case. We didn't need them because there wasn't a requirement. I'm just concerned because this time, I am going without her and I don't know how to drive in snow, what kind of chains to buy just in case they are needed...
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

Some mountain areas require chains. Don't know if Tahoe requires them when the weather is bad. I was in Yosemite a couple of years ago and chains were required if there was snow on the roads. You could probably call the local police and see what the rules are. Also, someone with experience may want to comment on how easy or difficult it is to install chains on the side of the road. The link below has some useful info.

http://www.tirechain.com/

Old 12-12-2007, 01:52 PM

I do believe the user manual contains a brief blurb on the use of chains, basically saying you can do so but at your own risk. If the chain contacts the body panels and damages the paint/sheet metal/plastic moldings, etc. you are basically hosed for the damage. I would think you only want to use them in those limited situations where you need that extra bit of traction assurance and remove them otherwise.

Regarding your snow tire comment I am having trouble reconciling there being insufficient $$ for a set of snows ($500-1000 for tires and wheels) but enough to trade up to a Pilot ($20,000+++). [sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: snow chains?