Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

spring suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:30 PM
HCF Member
Default spring suggestion

i have a 05 civic and this following picture is basically what i want done to my car...

Left: before Right:after

what kind of springs do you suggest? also (even though i have no idea what they are) will i need new struts? i've been told the ones on my car wear out easily. and how much would it cost to get everything installed? (i cant do it myself can i?) also do you think the drop i photoshopped would be okay in winter? i live in WNY and the winters get pretty harsh.

thanks guys

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by gooberguy
what kind of springs do you suggest? also (even though i have no idea what they are) will i need new struts? i've been told the ones on my car wear out easily. and how much would it cost to get everything installed? (i cant do it myself can i?) also do you think the drop i photoshopped would be okay in winter? i live in WNY and the winters get pretty harsh.
I think you should go ahead and buy coilovers so you wouldn't have to worry about blowing out your stock struts or buying performance ones.

You could do it by yourself. But if you feel more comfortable with a mechanic installing them, do that.

That drop should be fine in a NY winter. However, with coilovers, you could always just raise the car back up towards the end of October when it starts to get cold.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

so just to clarify,

you are saying that a drop that springs could achieve that would easily blow the struts, a set of coil overs can accomplish as well, without ever blowing the struts?

I may not be asking the question right, im thinking maybe the coilovers replace the struts? idk I get really confused when it comes to suspension

Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 AM
HCF Member

would it be daily driven?

Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 AM
HCF Member

yes, it is daily driven, summer and winter.

for an estimate, two years ago it was at around 15,000 miles now it is at 38,500, but that does include long road trips of about 400 miles each way.(400x4).

Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 AM

you are saying that a drop that springs could achieve that would easily blow the struts, a set of coil overs can accomplish as well, without ever blowing the struts?

I may not be asking the question right, im thinking maybe the coilovers replace the struts? idk I get really confused when it comes to suspension
If you replaced just springs, and achieved that sort of drop, your OEM struts would definitely blow out prematurely.

Example of real coilovers

Strut and spring together. The things on ebay (if that's what you are thinking of) are coilover sleeves that have the spring /metal sleeve that you would slip over the oem strut.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

okay, so the strut is the rod in the middle of the spring correct? so if i got coilovers i wouldnt have to worry about the struts, well because they would be replaced by the coilovers.

now let me ask something else... what would be cheaper? new springs, struts, and installation... or new coilovers and installation?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM

okay, so the strut is the rod in the middle of the spring correct? so if i got coilovers i wouldnt have to worry about the struts, well because they would be replaced by the coilovers.

now let me ask something else... what would be cheaper? new springs, struts, and installation... or new coilovers and installation?
just springs and struts would be cheaper but you won't be able to adjust the height so in the winter time you might get stuck. whereas with the coilovers you can raise the car up almost near stock height to drive around normally in the winter time and then lower the car again for spring/summer/fall.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

hm well i dont think i would be doing much adjusting since i hear that you have to get an allignment every time. also i dont think that the drop i want would actually get stuck in the winter. plush the coilovers i have seen have all been $1,000+

with that said, suggestions for springs/struts?

also anyone know how much a mechanic would charge to install them?

Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

if u do get lowering springs my vote is tien

Quick Reply: spring suggestion