HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   sticky weights vs clip-ons? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/sticky-weights-vs-clip-ons-92708/)

MaximusFunk 03-24-2012 02:53 PM

sticky weights vs clip-ons?

when I got my new wheels and tires balanced, I opted to use sticky weights because they look nicer than the clip on type. The salesperson warned me that sticky weights fall off quite frequently, and that I should have went with the clip-ons.

I find it hard to believe that they are such a shoddy product, because a lot of newer oem wheels have no place to put the clip-ons, so they must use stickies.

Has anyone ever lost a sticky weight? would it be prudent to put a little rubber cement around the edges, or a waste of time?

WellFedHobo 03-24-2012 03:20 PM

As long as the shop that puts them on is smart enough to clean the brake dust off the area first, you'll likely never lose them. I've only lost outside ones due to accidental curbing.

MaximusFunk 03-24-2012 05:19 PM

thanks, that makes me more confident about choosing them.

sfazngiants 03-24-2012 07:08 PM

Some of mines fell off. still worth it though. Looks a lot better than clip ons

ChristianL 03-25-2012 03:54 AM

In all the years I've owned them, I've only lost one stick-on weight. I haven't done it, but I know several people with track cars that will cover the weights with aluminum tape as an extra measure to keep them in place.

bluegreen 03-30-2012 11:34 AM

Old time racers would cover sticky weights up with duct tape. Seem like the clip on weights would slide.

reaper2022 03-31-2012 08:50 AM

Trust me, anyone who's ever had to remove stick-on weights can confirm that the things do not like to come off. Removal usually involves a putty knife or pocket screwdriver and 5-10 minutes of adhesive removal (though stick-on weights adhere to the old adhesive just fine). And the term "clip-on" is really misleading. You need to use a special hammer to install them. There's also several types for various lip shapes to make sure they're not loose or sticking out.

bluegreen 04-01-2012 04:56 AM

Discount Tire here use a regular hammer. Nothing special about it. How often do you take your sticky wieghts off?? Mine stay on till the tire needs to be changed. Then the guy replacing the tire removes them.

reaper2022 04-01-2012 07:22 PM

Correction, a special hammer should be used. Technically, using soap, silicone, or any similar lubricant to seat the beads is also a bad idea, but it doesn't stop some shops from doing it.

(and was the question regarding how often sticky weights are removed directed at me or the OP?)

civicexracer 04-22-2012 02:40 PM

Sticky weights are completely fine to use. As long as the person working on your wheels/tires cleans the surface off and any old glue/residue off properly, the weights will stay on there indefinitely.

There's no way in hell I'd ever put clip on weights on any aftermarket set of wheels. Most aftermarket wheels don't even have a thick enough lip for the clips to grab on to.