Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

sticky weights vs clip-ons?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
HCF Member
Default sticky weights vs clip-ons?

when I got my new wheels and tires balanced, I opted to use sticky weights because they look nicer than the clip on type. The salesperson warned me that sticky weights fall off quite frequently, and that I should have went with the clip-ons.

I find it hard to believe that they are such a shoddy product, because a lot of newer oem wheels have no place to put the clip-ons, so they must use stickies.

Has anyone ever lost a sticky weight? would it be prudent to put a little rubber cement around the edges, or a waste of time?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM

As long as the shop that puts them on is smart enough to clean the brake dust off the area first, you'll likely never lose them. I've only lost outside ones due to accidental curbing.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
HCF Member

thanks, that makes me more confident about choosing them.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

Some of mines fell off. still worth it though. Looks a lot better than clip ons

Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 AM
HCF Member

In all the years I've owned them, I've only lost one stick-on weight. I haven't done it, but I know several people with track cars that will cover the weights with aluminum tape as an extra measure to keep them in place.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM

Old time racers would cover sticky weights up with duct tape. Seem like the clip on weights would slide.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Trust me, anyone who's ever had to remove stick-on weights can confirm that the things do not like to come off. Removal usually involves a putty knife or pocket screwdriver and 5-10 minutes of adhesive removal (though stick-on weights adhere to the old adhesive just fine). And the term "clip-on" is really misleading. You need to use a special hammer to install them. There's also several types for various lip shapes to make sure they're not loose or sticking out.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:56 AM

Discount Tire here use a regular hammer. Nothing special about it. How often do you take your sticky wieghts off?? Mine stay on till the tire needs to be changed. Then the guy replacing the tire removes them.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Correction, a special hammer should be used. Technically, using soap, silicone, or any similar lubricant to seat the beads is also a bad idea, but it doesn't stop some shops from doing it.

(and was the question regarding how often sticky weights are removed directed at me or the OP?)

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Sticky weights are completely fine to use. As long as the person working on your wheels/tires cleans the surface off and any old glue/residue off properly, the weights will stay on there indefinitely.

There's no way in hell I'd ever put clip on weights on any aftermarket set of wheels. Most aftermarket wheels don't even have a thick enough lip for the clips to grab on to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sticky weights vs clip-ons?