Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Stock springs and shocks vs. lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
HCF Member
Unhappy Stock springs and shocks vs. lowering

I have lowering shocks that came in a box when I bought my Civic. I have never put them on. Now I truly need new front shocks at least and might as well do everything. But my friend told me that I have to put a camber kit on the front and back if I do non-stock suspension. I don't want to have to buy more parts, unless camber kits are really cheap (I have no clue).

Where should I look for stock springs and shocks without going to the Honda dealership? These Dropz lowering shocks (pair of two on eBay) were actually CHEAPER than the stock ones at AutoZone.

Any ideas of where to look? I don't mind if I have to buy online or through catalog...

Thanks.

chris

Old 06-19-2009, 10:10 AM

You can look on ebay or maybe even in the for sale section on HCF or Honda Tech. I don't know if you necessarily need a camber kit if you lower your car. Click on the link below which will bring up a number of links to useful suspension information which could give you more information about camber kits and what not.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=49092

Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

Thanks. I'll check it out now.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

A camber kit is reccomended if your going to lower the car, Also maybe a rear toe adjuster as well. Thats only if you want to do it right the first time. Either you'll buy a few extra parts to do the drop or your going to be spending a lot of extra cash on new tires.

What brand are the shocks/springs that came with your car when you bought it and how much of a drop is it?

Given the choice I'd definatly lower it if I were you. Just not too low.

Edit: Camber kits are not that expensive at all.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

You will definitely need a camber kit if you lower your car, especially if you have 17in wheels... unless of course you dont mind your wheels bending inwards at the top and making it look like crap from behind... looks like an A almost... you can get rear cambers for about 65-70 shipped and fronts for about 100-150 shipped depending on brands that you choose... as far as shocks and springs go you need to know what the rates are or you could have a horrible suspension and not even want to drive your car...there is a link somewhere in suspension that explains this, I cant find the link though... I hope this helps

Ninja edit: heres cheap crap but should work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-F...Q5fAccessories

+ here is the link that I couldnt find... I would thoroughly read this article https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=49092

Last edited by chasemclemore; 06-19-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by V8DIET
A camber kit is reccomended if your going to lower the car, Also maybe a rear toe adjuster as well. Thats only if you want to do it right the first time. Either you'll buy a few extra parts to do the drop or your going to be spending a lot of extra cash on new tires.

What brand are the shocks/springs that came with your car when you bought it and how much of a drop is it?

Edit: Camber kits are not that expensive at all.

Toe is fully adjustable on the Civic right? Just curious... never heard of this part... that is more of an alignment item right?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

Yea it's a measurement of the inward or outward angle at which the tire points in relation to the vehicle. But yea search toe link or adjuster on ebay and it looks almost like the camber kit for the rear. But toe in the rear of the civics is not adjustable and I think only slightly adjustable in the front.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

Yea it's a measurement of the inward or outward angle at which the tire points in relation to the vehicle. But yea search toe link or adjuster on ebay and it looks almost like the camber kit for the rear. But toe in the rear of the civics is not adjustable and I think only slightly adjustable in the front.

so that would make the caster the fully adjustable component then right? now im confused...

Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

Sorry, did I say shocks? I meant it came with lowering springs. I have no clue what brand they are. The box they came in...there is no company name or receipt or anything and the kid did not tell me, that I bought the civic from, and I didn't think to ask who they were made by. So, if I decided to sell them, it would certainly be difficult cuz I would have no info on them. I think it's a 2 inch drop, but that's just my guess from looking at them.