Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Strut Bar Install!!! *W/PICS!!*

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default Strut Bar Install!!! *W/PICS!!*

Heres some pics from last weekend when a buddy of mine and I (green shirt) installed a full strut bar kit. Some of the pics are little sketchy, but you'll get the point. It was definitely a good time. It actually took longer to get the car jacked up than it did to install any of the bars. Good stuff, and the car whiiiiiiips around turns now. We also ripped off a couple heat shields to get rid of my rattling problem. Need to finish that project this weekend..

You probably can't tell, but theres 30 grand worth of Jolly Ranchers on a pallet right next to the passenger door, hehe. I'm an IT Coordinator for a candy packaging company, and my boss lets me use the warehouse as my garage, NIIIICE!

This one looks a little goofy, but its cause we only had one side jacked up at this point (don't ask)...

Now i just gotta replace the suspension, and get some decent wheels and tires.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Default RE: Strut Bar Install!!! YAAYY! *W/PICS!!*

Dude, it looks great! What kind and where did you buy them? Not to be an *** but how much did you spend? I've been thinking about doing the same thing but not sure what brand or where to buy.
Thanks
CBC

Old 04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Thanks bro. These are Megan Racing Struts and i bought them off ebay for really cheap. I'm sure someone will pop up and say that they're **** and will bend on a fast corner, but i'm not using mine for racing. This is my daily driver and i put these on just to stiffen up my ride on corners on the everyday drive to/from work. And for the joy rides i take out in the back country twisty *** roads. THey seem to work great for that sorta thing, but i can't vouche for them on a track as i've never raced this car yet.

But i loves my suspension upgrades, believe you me!

Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM

They wouldn't bend, but they would flex. But hey, something's better than nothing. Nice job.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 PM

yeah, i saw some megan racing strut bars on ebay once, and I was wondering why they were so cheap...I thought megan racing was a good brand. So you feel a huge difference with them? Cause like you, I'm not going to be racing or anything like that, but some better handlng for daily driving might be nice

Old 04-29-2005, 02:55 PM

Sounds good. I was thinking about the DC sport titanium front brace but I don't think they make one for 97 EX. I guess I will have to go with something else. What was the total time on the install?

Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 PM

Looks good dude, but please clean that engine.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Definitely feel a nice difference, it was actually more of an improvement than i thought it was going to be. I'd highly recommend something like this to anyone looking to add a little extra confort and "zing" as i like to call it, to their ride.

Total install time is a little hard to judge because i had to go to a buddy's metal shop and bore out the brackets for the front lower bar. The bolts they mounted to were just little bigger than the holes. Then we ripped off a heat shield underneath and that took a little while. If i had to ball park it i would say about 2 1/2 hours to get them all in, torqued to spec, and ready to roll. Well worth it, it was a nice bolt on DIY and we had a blast.

This is the first time i've modded a car of my own, in case you can't tell. I've been working on other peoples cars since i was about 14, but nothing compares to improving your own ride, what a feeling...

Next comes the cat-back exaust... just a few more days!!

OH YEAH, and i'm going to be putting up a DIY for the front lower strut bar, as i had a HELL of a time trying to find one online. Gimme a few days and that will be up.. peace!

Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ngoti8tor yeah i know, i'm planning on doing that this weekend cause i dont have any money to but stuff to put on. And now i'm hooked on working on this thing, so cleaning is the only thing i got. I'll get more pics up. What do you suggest i use to clean the head and what not?

Old 04-29-2005, 03:54 PM

I've tried the degreasers before, and they all seem about the same.
The last time I bought a gallon can of a no-name degreaser and saved a pile of cash. It worked alright and the engine was nice and clean.

Quick Reply: Strut Bar Install!!! *W/PICS!!*