Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Strut bars, are they useful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Default Strut bars, are they useful?

I know what strut bars do and I found some on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

Do these do the same has some that are higher quality?

Where do you bolt these on? Because I have no idea.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Strut bars, are they useful?

not really, the cheap ones flex more and the pivots at the end move during cornering. they are better than nothing, but you'd be better off saving your money. and if you notice, sure they are only 35 bucks, but shipping is anywhere from 35-75 bucks. in the US they would only cost maybe 15-20 at the most. i can understand makin a little extra off shipping, but doubling your money on it?

Old 11-11-2004, 07:20 PM

yeah I know the shipping was that much, I was going to look for some cheaper shipping services on other items.

But I just wanted to know if they worked because I will be doing some road rallies soon and I thought it would help deminish body roll.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

a llittle, but just look for a quality used one. one good one should do almost as much as all four of the others. also, for body roll, a set of sway bars will do more than all the strut bars you can get.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:06 PM

If you're going to spend the money, you might as well do it right.

Building up cars isn't cheap, and you shouldn't be either.

Neuspeed bars are highly recommended.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/2000blackoutsi

Go to page 5 and scroll down to the suspension, I'm getting all four of those bars.

Expensive, yes. Read first and second sentence in this post.

Old 11-12-2004, 02:49 PM
HCF Member

Most modifications provide incremental performance improvement. Not too many mods will give you huge performance gains. In the case of strut bars, you really don't need unless you are in hard cornering. Also, there are other things to upgrade that will improve cornering more than strut bars. For example, investing in some good tires will out perform strut bars any day.

Oh, and you asked where the strut bars go.. the front goes across the engine and over the engine bay. You will see where the struts attach to the frame. This is where the strut bar also attaches. In the rear, you will have to rip up the carpet in your trunk. The strut bar will go accross your trunk (can be inconvenient)...

Old 11-12-2004, 03:08 PM

ok thats sounds good, I know I shouldn't be cheap and thats why I ask you guys whats the difference between good and cheap bars. Of course, just by looking at the price I know that theres better out there.

I have Falkens ZE 512 on my car now, are those good tires because the rating is pretty high and they are high performance tires.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

I don't have any experience with falkens but if they are performance tires then chances are you probably shouldn't spend more money on them. Personally, I prefer Kuhmo's. I find they are cheap and excellent for performance and handling.

Since you already have tires, maybe look into sway bars for the rear rather than strut towers. I'm not sure how much you have on your budget, but I would do a suspension upgrade over sway bars or strut bars. But, it costs a lot more...

Old 11-17-2004, 07:23 PM

yeah suspension will be in the future. What do sway bars and are they hard to install?