Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Default suspension question

alright, i just purchased new coilovers and struts and im going to install them here this weekend and i was wondering, if the original stock struts and springs are one unit, meaning can i take the strut and spring off the car without the spring decompressing and flying off the car

Old 02-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Default RE: suspension question

no you need to borrow a spring compressor from a shop. you will reuse some of your current suspention parts

Old 02-21-2006, 06:13 PM

you can take the strut assembly out of the car without a compressor, but to dissassemble it you need a spring compresor, because you will need to reuse the upper strut mounts and a few other things. good luck and be careful.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:47 PM

autozone u can borrow a spring compressor. just go in and ask to loan it. they will take a deposit down of like 20 bucks or something and then when you bring it back they give you your money back.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM

yeah i have my own spring compressor, and just needed to kno if i had to compress the spring while it was on the car or if i could take it out of the car and then compress it, what are all the parts that i will be reusing that are currently on the stock suspension?
thanks for ur answers

Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 PM

im not totaly sure of all the parts you need, but the upper strut mounts (the black part on the top of the spring) will be reused. you can get away with out using a spring compressor at all if you remove the nut holding the strut together while the car is still on the ground, but im not sure how much easier that will make the struts to remove, if at all.

reinstalling the rear struts is a lot easier if you can use the compresor, otherwise you will have to unbolt the trailing arm and force it in. i know ive done it more than a few times.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:15 PM

thanks for all the answers, now what i got from summit was kyb gr-2's and matrix coilovers, has anybody had any experiance with these products and if so how did you like them or any problems you had with them

Old 02-22-2006, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: 98 EJ8

yeah i have my own spring compressor, and just needed to kno if i had to compress the spring while it was on the car or if i could take it out of the car and then compress it, what are all the parts that i will be reusing that are currently on the stock suspension?
thanks for ur answers
u use the spring compressors while the springs are on the car. u tke teh wheel off, unattach a few bolts so you can get to the spring/shock/struts. Unbolt the strut from the top. Compress the spring carefully and evenly. then you can push teh shock in and it should lower the strut so you can remove all 3 pieces.

You will need to uncompress the spring once it's out as well. just be careful to do this....compressed springs if they snap can kill someone or seriously injure someone if they are taken off unevenly and it just springs off the compressor.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:16 PM

well i started my suspension today, and most of you were right, i didnt have to compress the spring while it was on the car, now since they are coilovers im unsure of how much i should drop the car, any suggestions on what you guys think the optimum ride height is?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:23 PM

if you don't have a camber kit i wouldn't go past an 1.5 because your tires will wear out quick. if you get a camber kit you could go 2-2.5 inches no problems.

Quick Reply: suspension question