Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Default Suspension question

Ok. My car, 97 dx coupe EJ6, made alot of rattling noises on rough roads like it was falling apart. I didnt have all the money yet so Ireplaced the stock front shocks with KYB GR2's. When I got the rest of the money, the GR2's for the back were out of stock so I got KYB AGX adjustables for the rear. Both of the stock shocks(Rear) were leaking oil when I changed them. But with 4 new shocks on, the car still sounds like rocks in a metal can. I tried the AGX's on all settings and hardly any improvement. When driving I can even hear thecoins in the ash tray rattling. Did I miss something?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Suspension question

Rattling sounds aren't really a symptom of blown shocks. It could be any number of things, can you describe the sound better? when does it happen?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:49 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: DaRKoN

Ok. My car, 97 dx coupe EJ6, made alot of rattling noises on rough roads like it was falling apart. I didnt have all the money yet so Ireplaced the stock front shocks with KYB GR2's. When I got the rest of the money, the GR2's for the back were out of stock so I got KYB AGX adjustables for the rear. Both of the stock shocks(Rear) were leaking oil when I changed them. But with 4 new shocks on, the car still sounds like rocks in a metal can. I tried the AGX's on all settings and hardly any improvement. When driving I can even hear thecoins in the ash tray rattling. Did I miss something?
First, secure the coins. There are cheap noise-free coinholders you can get for the cupholder or something. Secure any other loose stuff in the car. Don't forget the tire-changing gear either. If it's bouncing around it can make quite a ruckus. The tools in the storage box of my Jeep are louder than the wind and tires when I drive down Lakeshore Dr.

Then secure the front end on jackstands and get underneath with some eye protection on to carefully shake the snot out of any potentially loose components. Then lower it and do the same in the rear. Pay special attention to the exhaust and it's shields.

I'm also guessing the springs are pretty tired if the shocks were leaking.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs

Rattling sounds aren't really a symptom of blown shocks. It could be any number of things, can you describe the sound better? when does it happen?
The noise sounds like when the tire pressure is low and the rim is bouncing on the road. It feels like if there is no shock or springs attached because the car dips on uneven surfaces. Also if I hit a pothole, I feel it right up throught the steering and the entire dash shakes.
I havent changed the springs but as said before by Kommando they may be tired and need replacement. What do you think?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Sometimes the car also feels like its crabbing but only when cornering. Drifts wide sometimes but not sliding.