Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension Setup.. Troubling me

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default Suspension Setup.. Troubling me

Ok... So I have the Skunk 2 Coilover sleeves.. and I have been reading about this product and they are pretty rough on the road on bumps, cracks and such. Now, I'm dropping my civic 1" rear and 1.2" front. Is that a lot for my stock struts/shock to handle? As for the bumpy ride, within the next 3 months I'm planning to get tokico but not sure much about it(hopefully my stru/shocks wont blow by then). Does my car need the tokico shock or strut - 02 civic lx(sorry noob about this). If you have a better suggestion on the setup with the skunk 2 coilover sleeve(which I already have with me) it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Suspension Setup.. Troubling me

skunk 2 is pretty good stuff. honestly, id just wait until i got everything because it will take you a LONG time to lower it and then you will just have to take it all back off and do it again. not worth it in my opinion. no, 1" or 1.2" isn't too much for a stock shock/strut to handle. most lowering aprings are 1.5-2".....

Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM

i had skunk2 coilovers on my old del sol and ef hatch. they were slammed to the ground almost. they rode very smooth. i had tokico blues in the front, and autozone replacements in the rear. worked fine for a long time.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Another thing to think about is that when you pull the strut off to put them on its going to mess up your alignment. So, you'll need an alignment and then when you get your new struts, you'll have to do it all over again. I would say just wait till you get the struts and do it all at once. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

jhsplaya i see you are in the process of working on your suspension.. must be sweet! I cant wait for your final pics! Ok... going back to my suspension... so you guys think 1" is not going to hurt my stock shocks?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

schimmel, yes im planning to do an alignment.. specs should be ok with the stock specs. right? considering im only going 1" - 1.2"...

Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM

thats really not whats going to mess it up. when you take the strut out it will screw with your toe. The camber will be a little off, but whats going to be affected the most is the toe which means its going to pull to the left or to the right. It may not be a big deal, but if you have good tires you need to think about the abnormal wear on your tires. I can't give you a difinitive answer on the 1- 1.2" since I went the full coilover route.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:48 PM
HCF Member

wait 3 months...arrgghhh I have the konig unknown wheels coming in a week and i dont really want them mounted on the car without being lowered.. I think it looks ugly.. *sigh*

Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 PM

Its up to you. I'm just letting you know that the cars going to be off. If you want to get two alignments... one with the springs and then another when you get the struts, cool. But is it worth the $60 for an alignment? You just have to weigh your options. Its all a matter of $$

Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

i dunno i just dont see paying for an alignment twice and believe me, its definately work putting on the stuff. if you have the time and money, then sure it would be ok. what size wheels did you get 17 or 18. unknowns are pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Suspension Setup.. Troubling me