Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Swaybars for the non-Si Civics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Default Swaybars for the non-Si Civics?

I have to admit I'm a little peeved. I've been searching, searching, searching some more, and I can't find an online resource for this problem. You'd think that with one of the most popular tuning platforms in existance, coupled with the fact that any swaybar installation (within reason: no need to split hairs) on a car with zero factory sways is going to help in the handling department, that this would be all over the web, with several companies offering a fix.

But no.

Every time I look up a set of generally overpriced aftermarket swaybars for my car, I look through the specifications and everything looks good. Up until the disclaimer: "This product only works on cars that came with factory-installed swaybars." Well, **** me then. Using junkyard parts? You must be joking! (Unfortunately, no, I'm not.) Am I, and every other non-Si Civic out there with me, doomed to be bar-less? In, oh, 18 years of the platform's existance, am I the only guy to come across this problem?

You'd think there would be some mention of it, but no. A sticky thread, even, but no. No mention in the FAQs on this site or any of the other Civic-related sites I've perused. Plenty of pictures of pretty body kits, yes, and threads on how to clean the H emblems, but as for a genuine performance mod that concerns probably about 85% of Civic owners out there, nada.

I do know the following, after having grabbed a set of factory sways off of a 90 Integra GS:

The rear lower control arms from a swaybar equipped car are needed.

The rear swaybar would bolt up - had Honda deigned to drill the holes and install the threaded inserts. As a bonus, the factory mount position happens to be directly on the boxed section of the unibody, not something you just want to start hacking at with a die-grinder. (Honda engineers, or rather the goddamned bean-counters that thought this necessary, thanks! And go **** yourselves.)

The front bar looks fairly identical to that offered in the Suspension techniques front/rear kit, and would bolt to the lower control arms using the factory end-links, no problem. Except, of course, for the fact that there are no factory holes drilled in the subframe for the mounts that were used on the integra, and since the aftermarket offerings have their disclaimers in place, it's a safe bet that there are no Civic-specific mounts for the sub-Si models. Thanks again, beancounters, you scum-sucking peices of ****, you.

Needless to say, I would appreciate it very much if someone could facilitate making these parts work. Any information would be better than none. And, doubtless, so would many others that are saddled with non-Si cars (tens of thousands in the EF generation alone, I would imagine).

In case you were wondering, the car in question is a 91 EF hatch, base model, with the 'coveted' D15B/four-speed setup. And no, I'm not being a dick on purpose. My head's just ringing from banging it against a brick wall for a week.

Or was it the Fear Factory in-store? Maybe...

Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Swaybars for the non-Si Civics?

Right? Will someone help him before he blows a gasket and hurts himself?

Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

i got one from a friend that bolts around the stock rear LCAs, but i have no idea what brand it is. ill try to ask him, and ill post a pic when i get a hold of a digi-cam.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:10 PM

ok calm down the great sacicons is on your case just don't hurt anyone

Old 08-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Cat Fuсker

Hmmm...my new LCAs have holes for them and I am mounting the rear integra bar in there....how? I don't know yet, but I am:-D

Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 AM

The LCAs aren't the problem in either case (front or back), it's the body mounts that are the problem.

Barring another solution, the rear I could fix via some 'welding' epoxy that my cousin's body shop uses for doorskins and such (the epoxy is actually stronger than welding - in a simple pull-test, two peices of sheet metal are joined via both methods and tested. The welded pair broke at the weld - the epoxied pair actually had the metal fail before the bond gave way). Which is fine, but a rear bar with none on the front sounds like a recipe for oversteer to me.

The subframe in front looks like the mounts are of a similiar style to the rear Integra's - a tab inserted on one side as a pivot and a bolt holding it in. Looks can be deceiving, though.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

mine bolts to the inner mouting points for the LCAs, and yea, oversteer is there, but can be modulated with tire pressure and proper throttle control. and actually, it helps me a ton in auto-x. i can pivot around corners really well.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 PM

click
there's a link for an adapter kit by Eibach for us poor bastids saddled with non-Si cars. How simple was that?

Sticky please, if not this thread then at least a less offensive one with the same info.

Want anything done right...